1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Clearances And Belts

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by mechcanico lee, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Hello all doing some winter maintanance on my 1100 sp .
    Is there someone on here who does the cam belts at a fair price ( just supply them )
    Here's my valve clearance sheet , what clearance should I be heading for , some googling Come up with 5 thou opener and 1 thou closer ....what do you think of that .
    Are shims Ducati only , some of my clearances look pretty good with a few of them needing a bit of a twiddle , you could swap a few around I suppose .
    Many thanks

[​IMG]

2. Doesn't look too bad what mileage? shows how manufacturing tolerances at Bologna have improved. I do 0.12-0.15 openers & zero closers.
    Your openers just need a little rub on wet n dry to bring them in, your smallest closer is redundent .
    Frt ex leave alone
    rear int closer to frt int.
    Frt int closer to rear ex
    Buy 3.35 for rear int

Take the time to dial in cams too.
    Belts from Exige

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for that , yes i can see where your going ..........my head still works in thous because its what ive grew up with but ive convereted it over ......... i still get paid in groats and measure distance with furlongs dontchaknow .

The bikes done 9k miles now .....most of them by me givving it the death ...this is the first check they have had aswell

The zero clearance on the openers is that ok ( not doughting your knowledge by the way ) is expansion taken into account ..... do they expand away and make more clearance , sort of rule of thought valves expand and close the gaps up in most cases .

Should i just message exige for the belts .....wonder if he can get me that opener shim aswell ?? .

Dialing the cams in ........ do you pin them up or dial guage ? just let the cam vernier wheel 3 bolts off to tweek em in is it ?

many thanks Lee

4. If you subscribe to the forum your belts will be cheaper, you save more than the subscription.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zero clearance is ok, BUT, 0.01mm of interferance is shagged rocker arm time... not as risky as it sound, to check gentle pressure on the rocker arm against the spring & as long as you can rotate the shim with your fingers then no problem.

Dialing in the cams made a huge difference in terms of part throttle smoothness & response, dont put off doing it, I did for a while & wished I'd done it sooner.
    Bolt & set degree wheel to TDC crank position (I use a threaded nylon stop in plug hole, once set remove stop), using a D.T.I. on closing shim edge (ensure plunger is parallel to valve stem) find 1mm of opening both sides of the cam lobe & split the angle to give lobe mid-point, set crank back to correct angle for 1mm opening & with cam pulley loose rotate cam to give 1mm reading, tighten pulley screws & recheck (2 or 3 times) angles for 1mm both sides of lobe.
    You will find better guides on the www.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ducati Forum Subscribe discounts explained here.

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/exact-fit-timing-belts-forum-subscriber-discount.38123/

Prices will be going up soon (this weekend) due to the exchange rate taking my pricing below the California Cycle works agreed lower limit - I have held pricing so far but still fall a significant % behind the increases seen for the OEM parts. My Ebay prices have already moved slightly already to keep within my limits. Remember with CCW Exact Fit belts you are getting the best industry practice available through design, materials, manufacturing techniques, tooth profile adherence, and pitch accuracy too :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reeto , I'm subscribed now how do I go about getting the belts exige ?

Read about how the half rings wear on the opening thrust side , I marked the tops of the half rings with a felt pen so I knew which way was up and turned them round the other way that 4thou opener on the front cyl is now at 1 thou . Suppose if you didn't mark the split rings and put them back the other way round all your measuring will go to cock because of the worn shoulder

8. Check the link for belt type - send a PM to me with your address and send payment via PayPal Friends and Family to [email protected]
    If you prefer bank transfer let me know via PM - (conversations tab) :upyeah:

9. Im thinking of changing my belts for a pair of braces...do you have them in stock stu.

10. Nope, you are not old enough for braces :Angelic: and they will make your welding wavy when tangled :Stop:

• Like Like x 1
  11. More tinkering , valve clearances dialled in , just got to dial cams in when I get the dti from work , had some fun with them half rings ...fiddly fekkers !! but sorted it , good point to mark tops of half rings so you know which way they come out as they wear on the shoulder from the closing push .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to Exige for the timing belt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sent this to a guy off eBay ....turbo Suzuki sellers name
    £22 and 2 days later this came in the post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Service for forks

[​IMG]

Probably give head bearings a grease up while I'm here

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Id thought about servicing my forks....do they come apart easily?? and, could you give me the details of that lad that made the tool....I could do with one of those...! tar

Edit - just seen the name!!

saying that I'm not sure how to search for a user in ebay rather than a product...

#13 comfysofa, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  14. There is someone on here who makes braces but only for an SS...

15. Yes they come apart easy enough , I'm no suspension expert but just lay everything out , keep things the correct way up , when you take the spring out there's a spacer down in there , make notes where your settings are comp , rebound , pre load so you know where you are .
    680ml of oil per leg come out and that's what I put back in .
    Loads of you tube vids showing you how to do them

16. Aren't you supposed to wind everything in before taking it all apart so when you put it back you can wind it out again. Does that make any sense???

17. Wind pre load off so less twang as you un do top , the comp and rebound turn all the way clockwise whilst counting turns so you know where to go back to

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've got all my settings written down anyway... I should be OK... Ive had the rsv4 ohlins forks apart before so they shouldn't be much different... I just wanted to check first... They look about the same..

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information