1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vbat Flashing Hi 2003 999s.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by fitz the viking, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Hi.

As in the title my 999 dash has started flashing. Vbat HI. It goes past 15v instantly after starting then straight to hi. I have checked the voltage across the battery at idle and 5k rpm and the voltage is 14 and then 14.6 on fast idle. Don't know where to go from here.

Many thanks

2. If the voltage is 14.6v then the R/R is likely to be OK.

I had this issue on my 999 2003 and it turned out to be coolant from a holed hose had knackered the ECU. The solution was a new ECU.

3. Yeah I think it was your thread that I read before. I was hoping it wasn't going to be that. Had the bike 2 days but I don't remember seeing it when I bought it. Anything flashing would have caught my eye.

It is water and oil tight. Starts very easily and has done 7k miles. Bit suprised thatsort of problem has occured. Anything I can do to test? Have read about a decent earth strap that can help.

4. If you are competent at getting the ECU out then I can send you one on loan to prove/disprove that the ECU is at fault. PM me your details.

5. That's very kind. I will look at the cheap easy fixes first like earths and clean connections. It's had a service before I got it and am hoping it's something loose. If not though I will be in touch. Is this a common problem with 999s?

6. Not a common problem.

7. had a look this morning. checked all connections and the earth and all looks good, nice and tight connections with no fouling of the terminals. made no difference to the readings on the dash or on my multimeter. I am reluctant to start tearing the bike to pieces at the moment as i have had it 4 days now from a dealer. will be on the phone first thing in the morning. I knew i was getting something a little more temperamental than a jap bike but 3 days!!!!!! But when i was riding it my word, what a bike.

From looking at a few ebay vids the orange ebod light should come on when you go through the starting procedure but mine doesnt so i dont know if its going on with my vbatt reading. yeah back to the shop it goes. :(

#7 fitz the viking, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. turned key, got clicking. error 37.3 and 38. going back for clocks ecu and locks.

9. whats behind the 2 bolts under the battery, literally 2 hex bolts onto the battery casing they arent tight and a quarter turn on the left hand nut and the problem is solved. undone half a turn and clicking and error messages. i believe thats the source of the non starting and errors. still waiting for shop to pick the bloody thing up so starting to have a look myself.

10. They are the bolts that hold the ECU to the back of the battery box. On the other side one of the bolts holds an earth lead to the heat sink of the ECU. You probably have a bad earth on that lead, hence why it come and goes as you tighten/slacken the bolt. You really need to get to the back of the battery box, which is a battery out, undo the 3 battery box bolts and then remove the heat shield jobby. You will then be able to get a socket onto the nut that the bolt you are turning is connected to.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information