1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Was It Really That Bad ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Nov 7, 2016.

1. And so you should be , totally stunning bike there , so nice in black ( the new red ) but the traditionalist in me ( wtf !! ) tells me a Ducati , like a Ferrari , has to be red ( maybe )

2. You mean yellow?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I meant a Porsche

4. Are they M4 to go through the spring clips or did you remove them? Just a washer and nut on the inside?

Did you need them to keep the nose secure or are they there yo cover the holes?

5. I did similar, nut and washer on the inside on mine. They are needed to stop the top of the fairing flapping around.

6. But those are silver...

7. I would use the proper bolt instead of anything else. These are specifically designed for the job. If your bike goes over these bolts will snap and the mirror will detach from the nose fairing. If you use a standard nut and bolt you run the risk of cracking the fairing and the fairing support that attaches to the headlamp bucket as the mirror will not detach.
    I can't remember what size they are. The spring clips are just a mechanical fixing in conjunction with the snap bolt.
    The purpose of the bolt is to secure the mirror housing to the fairing and secure the fairing to the bracket underneath as a result. I don't understand what your referring to about a washer and nut? There is a threaded insert in the mirror bracket that the snap bolt goes into.

Are you both talking about how do you fix the fairing to the bracket if you remove the mirrors?

8. I'm not asking how the mirror attaches.

on the nose cone you have 3 small holes at the top and 1 lower down. Your mirrors are located through the 3 at the top somehow which i'm not asking about.

The lower hole on it's own you have a bolt/bung in. I'm asking about that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. even if you have one through the top area? You need a lower/middle one too?

10. Ah understood!

Yes bottom one is a lug that pushes into a rubber bung. The 'bolt' on mine is a dzus fasntner.

IMG_4604.JPG

11. so the bottom hole on its on is now not used to attach the fairing to the frame?

12. I'm trying to remember this from memory! There is a bolt that is underneath the nose fairing either side and this, if I remember correctly, screws into the bottom lower part of the headlamp bucket. Then there is the fixing on the side next to the rubber bung hole that the side fairing fixes to with the dzus fastener and then the snap bolt at the top for the mirror through the top bracket which is also attached to the headlamp bucket. So three separate fixings each side. One bottom, one in the middle and one at the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Right I've found a photo in my gallery pictures of my bike with the fairing off. Are you referring to the bolt to the right of the rubber bung hole? IMG_4605.JPG

If you are, this screws into the end of the air tube side panel. The one I've referred to above that is underneath the fairing, bolts into a piece of plastic that is then secured to the underside of the headlamp bucket.

14. The bolt next to the grommet is stepped to stop it going in too far.

15. None of them. The OEM mirror has 1 bolt hole and 2 stems that push through the fairing and locate in metal clips under the fairing supports. One of these is at the top next to where the bolt is and the other half way down the fairing/screen. Its the lower one of these i'm asking about.

16. It's the same type of fixing as the upper one

IMG_4606.JPG

17. OK, that picture of the mirror. The bottom/left prong. It pushes through the fairing and locates into the fairing mount arm. the underside of the fairing mount arm has a metal clip.

On your bike picture your mirror does not use this hole. You have a black plug or bolt going through the fairing.

What is that?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. Not with mine they don't ,( from a standstill in the living room ) mine broke the mirror and the support bracket , requiring a weld .

19. Sorry mate, I really don't know what your referring to. My mirrors are located using the two standard prongs and a snap bolt in each mirror. Here are my actual mirrors.

IMG_4608.PNG

IMG_4609.PNG

20. OK, i see the issue. I was meaning @DoctorW bike.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information