1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome Back Sf..

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Gimlet, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Finally had the instrument panel replaced last week (after a certain amount of wriggling Ducati bunged me one at half price).
    Had a good blast tonight. Bought a new KTM 1290 Superduke in March and some people said why have you bought two similar bikes. I was adamant they were very different and sat well together in the same garage but I must admit while the SF was out of action with its popped instrument panel and I was bonding with the KTM I did have thought about selling the SF (never thought I'd say that but it was on the cards). But I don't think I can.

There is no two ways about it, the SDR is faster. Mid range and top-end acceleration is in a different league. The torque is monstrous and the revs soar upwards like an in-line four. It is without doubt a wilder bike and having got used to it I'm finding that when I get back on the SF I'm riding it much harder than I used to. In fact I'm ragging it everywhere and that's a good thing because I'm absolutely loving it. The harder you ride a SF the better they get. I love the handling. I spent a few quid upgrading the suspension. Its not as flickable as the SDR but it feels tauter, more planted with less weight transfer and its got that trademark Ducati ability to hold stacks of corner speed. Does stand up on the brakes more than the KTM but it feels smaller, lighter and stiffer.
    The posture is more sports bike-like and its so natural to hang off it. It feels like a sports bike and I think its going to be my back road scratcher.
    It stays. Welcome back Streetfighter.

#1 Gimlet, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Good comparison....but good to here the SF still has its place.
    What do you reckon of KTM build quality compared to Duke?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

The KTM must be some bike if it's in a different league to the SFS. :Wideyed:

4. The 1290 is pretty awesome. The acceleration and the rate at which it builds revs is phenomenal especially when its been decatted which gives it the Ducati's bottom end as well.
    Build wise I would say quality is every bit as good. The fasteners have a tendency to rust if neglected but at least they're not made of chocolate. Otherwise I would say KTM build quality is very high. Probably better than current Ducatis, but then I reckon pre-2012 Ducatis (like the SF) were better than the current output as well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information