1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I Guess If It Works!?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Reubinio, Mar 11, 2017.

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. Does anyone know what exactly the new MotoGP rule against winglets actually says? And how far a fairing can go without violating the rule? Is this hammerhead as far as it is possible to go? Or is there more to come?

2. I think they are essentially trying to now build the wings in as part of the body to get around the banning rule. Pretty sure Yamaha have been testing the same idea. Must be something in it or they wouldn't be track testing. Certainly the future unless rules and regs step in.

#3 Reubinio, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  3. If it works that's very clever :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting aero development if it works but not exactly aesthetically pleasing

5. And if to works, when will it be part of general bike design? Thats the point of MGP, feed into production :upyeah:

6. I like it - there's always something pleasing about design that fulfills a purpose other than just looking nice

• Like Like x 2
  7. I thot the purpose of moto gp ( like all motorsports ) was to sell the brand , " win on Sunday sell on Monday " used to be the slogan , not to produce some ugly duckling for the road

8. Partly true. The other part being that the MotoGP technology eventually filters down into the day to day bikes. (and the same with F1 and cars)

9. Partly true ,, I doubt very much if we are going to see the basking shark front on any sport bike soon !!

10. Who said it would be soon?

11. Delete the word soon then , ever would be too soon for me !!

12. Mmmm, 2 wings joined together on each side - an even bigger wing area than before - soon be banned I think :)

13. These are the rules. I believe they have to have two designs approved before the start of the season and then no more changes are allowed.

No Wings or Bulges - MotoGP Aerodynamic Regulations Published | MotoMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

This bit seems the most pertinent. I think Ducati would argue the overall shape is similar to last year's fairing.
    Devices or shapes protruding from the fairing or bodywork and not integrated in the body streamlining (e.g. wings, fins, bulges, etc.) that may provide an aerodynamic effect (e.g. providing downforce, disrupting aerodynamic wake, etc.) are not allowed.

14. Thanks for this helpful link. So the question is: What are "bulges"? All fairings have bulges of some kind, and all fairings provide aerodynamic effects of some kind, so where is the line to be drawn between permitted bulges and forbidden bulges? I foresee much wrangling!

#15 Pete1950, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  15. If those are a true and full transcript of the rules regarding aerodynamics I see endless legal/publicity wrangling.

"Devices or shapes protruding from the fairing or bodywork and not integrated in the body streamlining (e.g. wings, fins, bulges, etc.) that may provide an aerodynamic effect (e.g. providing downforce, disrupting aerodynamic wake, etc.) are not allowed.

The Technical Director will be the sole judge of whether a device or fairing design falls into the above definition."

Essentially provides no objective measures, and is down to whether the Technical director finds favour with your team. As Pete has stated, all fairing have bulges and their purpose is to have an aerodynamic effect.

Interestingly the only objective measure would make all the 1950's streamlined racers from Guzzi, MV, NSU and the like illegal.

"Furthermore, to avoid that the front of the fairing is wing-shaped, with unpredictable safety results, the front of the fairing cannot protrude more than 150mm beyond a vertical line drawn through the front wheel spindle."

#16 Geoffrey Lebowski, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  16. I quite like the new design, will be better once the paint is on it too, if it works then why not, not the worst looking version i have seen so far!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Be great to know time splits compared to the XX17 bikes. I think as Marquez may have found out any cross winds or bad air from other bikes could cause front end problems? Perfect conditions corner speed/braking must be improved though with the extra front end downforce.

18. Looks as tho' we'll soon have the option of panniers at the front.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information