1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Well, It's Home. :)

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ResB1199, Jul 5, 2015.

1. So, picked up the new bike yesterday and now the running in begins!

I've only done 50 miles and the things i noticed immediately which are different from the 1199 -
    • The seat "is" more comfortable when comparing it to the standard 1199 seat and the DP Race Seat.
    • The foot pegs are slightly higher and it feels like they are set back a little further too. I did get a little case of pins and needles in my right foot.
    • The 20mm increase in the screen height does make a difference and has reduced the wind on the body.
    • The mirrors are fine, no worse than the 1199 IMO.
    • and I don't like running bikes in!
    More to come once I get out and about on it a bit more.

IMG_9923a.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  2. Lovely bike Res, congrats :upyeah:
    I'm really looking forward to picking mine up soon. I can't believe you've only done 50 miles on it though :Wideyed: it'll be a struggle to get me off mine when I pick it up :Woot:
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Steve

3. I know what you're saying. I have my lad this weekend so I'm tied to Dad stuff, so the bike will have to wait unfortunately. Going to be a painful 1500 miles tho!!

4. What's the delivery times for these please?

5. Shouldn't you be changing your username now?

6. Don't I have to run it in for another 1000 miles first? ;) Oh and I can't wait to give it the beans. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. I should do yes, but I'll request that from admin when I think the 1299 is worthy of the 1199 name reference. :)

8. Who knows! Seriously though, my dealer told me 4 to 6 weeks when I ordered it but it's taken 12 weeks for it to arrive.
    I've got to wait another few weeks to pick it up too as I'm going to be out of the country for work :(

Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Congratz :Snaphappy:

10. After the first 600 miles it's ok to ride harder. The manual does talk about further running in but that's not really that necessary or need to be followed strictly if you know what I mean. Just ride normally after the first 600, you will be fine. I did the same and no issues. Even my dealer said so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. That's encouraging. :upyeah: It's pretty much what my dealer said about the STR, which I've just hit 500 miles on. Need to get out on the 12 and get the service booked in sharpish.

12. Yes, agree, there is a deeper noise for sure. I tested the noise levels on tick over and at 1m away x 45 deg. from the rear it was 104dB and 102dB when the mic was 1m behind the bike! Certainly sounds better than the standard 11. I never thought of the seat height as I'd been used to the race seat on the 11 which is higher so you're probably right.

Most of my journey was on the motorway on the way back but initially, I did think the ride was smoother low down. As for only doing 50 miles, it was my weekend with my boy and my parents were looking after him while I picked the bike up, so couldn't really disappear for the day. I should get some miles in over the next week if the weather improves.

So, silly warning sticker removed off the tail and swinging arm and will fit the tank pad tonight along with straightening the tail tidy that the dealer put on. If you want a job doing right n all. :Banghead:. Dealers are also getting so tight. Only did 5 miles on it and the fuel light came on. Things have changed...

13. come on, lets have an update! ;)

14. Congratulations.

Book the service well in advance. Took two evenings to run mine in then had to wait ages for the service (because of all those scramblers probably).

15. Okay, Update.

I'm currently at 450 miles, but will get the remainder in before the service.

So what's to say during the run-in period? Well a few things.

Engine

It certainly has more torque than the 11 which is making running in far more interesting. Other than that I need to get it run in to comment on it further. Looks like it will be epic though, but still need to feel what it's like when you hit 8k. Miss the 11 for that let me tell you.

Heat from the engine is about the same as the 11, but it's never bothered me previously.

When I was running the 11 in and was for instance slowing for a junction, blipping the throttle on the downshift, the 11 used to cut out from time to time when going from 3rd to 2nd just at the point when you pulled the clutch in. You'd have to let the clutch out to sort of bump start it again. I've not had this issue with the 12 so far.

Note. I used half a litre of oil in the first 200 miles so keep an eye on the usage.

Throttle/Clutch

I'm not completely happy with the remapped/reworked throttle response. There is a slack/dead space with the throttle which is making some gear changes a bit untidy. The clutch bites quite early (not even tried to adjust it) but the timing with the throttle has gone a little awry at times. I guess I will just get used to this over time, but I hope it can be set back to how th 11 was.

Gear Change (with clutch)

Very smooth, smoother than the 11 I would have said. Riding very sedately and gears just slot into place effortlessly. At pace it's the same.

Quick Shift (up)

Smoother than the 11 at slower speeds and lightning fast when on full throttle. I cannot wait to see what it's like when the bike is run in but for now I cannot fault it. I have had no false neutrals at all. However, from 5th to 6th it feels like you have to be a little more firm when shifting up. It seems like shifting up in the earlier gears requires less effort.

Quick Shift (Down)

Takes a bit of getting used to as it just doesn't feel right. But, with the miles being added the downshift has become lighter. Early days yet for me but what I've seen so far is encouraging.

The gearbox is a delight. Far better than my STR and smoother than the 11.

Brakes

Well it stops very quickly indeed. The rear brake seems to have more bite than the 11 but I don't tend to use it much in any case so it's probably a premature comment to make. Needless to say they are superb.

Suspension

Too early to say if I'm honest but early indications are that it's going to be great. My 11 took a few thousand miles to settle down so this may also be the case for the 12.

Steering

Noticeably quicker than the 11 however, because of this I’m taking a little time to get used to it. Its pin sharp though, point it where you want to go and it obliges without a fuss.

More to come after the run in is complete.

Booked in for this Saturday, weather pending! But got a few more miles to do. :Arghh:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information