1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Went And Bought A 2017 1200s Dvt Didn't I

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by burndownthediscos, Apr 29, 2017.

1. I've finally run out of patience with my second Panigale and traded in my 1299. A whole slew of reasons led to my decision. But let's just leave it as you'll struggle to find anyone who has drunk more coffee at their dealer and utilised the warranty more on an 899 and 1299. After the 899 I thought I'd used my share of bad luck. However, the universe had other ideas.

It was a disappointing decision to have to make on what was the bike I had dreamt of owning since I was 6. A decision made easier though by my work life being too busy, to foresee getting near a track this year.

I was all set to buy a new 1200 DVT then I had a full day on an S last week with sunshine and dry roads. I'd ridden the 1299 and 1299S lots and lots and never thought the suspension on the S was worth the premium. In fact I felt the same about the S1000RR.

In a nutshell for the Multi, never, ever have a base and S version of a motorcycle been so night and day different. After getting over the euphoria of being insanely comfortable riding home, I spent all day riding round the Peaks. I was even riding the same stretch of different roads over and over just to make sure my hands and arse weren't lying to me. What the Skyhook suspension does is just bloody fantastic.

I quickly figured out I didn't actually need to have it in Sport mode with everything on 'hardest' as the harder I rode the more the Skyhook would compensate. Default Sport mode ended up being grand. The last two hours riding were basically spent doing 'man maths' to make sure I could afford the S. I could have lived without the LED headlights and other fancy bits. But not the Skyhook or the TFT dash if I'm being honest.

Anyway I pick it up week of the 8th May. I've gone for the 'Deep Sexual Grey' and red frame version.

Currently blatting about on the 1200S Enduro demo which, for such a big bike is cracking fun to ride. I cannot wait to get on mine though...it was so much fun to ride it made me forget about the fact Prince is still dead for an afternoon.

• Like Like x 13
  2. You won't regret it. I chopped my 1199 in for a dvt S and haven't looked back. Had it on track too and was great fun!

• Like Like x 2
  3. I agree about Skyhook. It adjusts itself to suit how you are riding, not just how it was set. I had a 2013 S before which had less delay on the throttle in Touring mode. So I have set Touring on my DVT to have the Sports throttle response, and rely on Skyhook to firm up the suspension when required. It works very well, though a switch to Sports for serious scratching is beneficial.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Love mine it's a great all rounder you won't regret it

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have no doubt you will find the multi a far more usable machine in everyday situations, my DVTS is by far the quickest and most capable over real world (rough) roads I have ever had.
    However coming from your 1299 surely you will feel a large deficit of power, could you give us your thoughts on the power difference ??

#5 dddd, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. +1

7. What! Prince is Dead?
    I came from an R1 and I know I'd never go back. I love the ride.

• Crap Crap x 1
  8. Don't worry, Prince may have come back to life:
    "..it was so much fun to ride it made me forget about the fact Prince is still dead for an afternoon."
    So next morning he was probably OK. It must have been over Easter.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Picked bike up yesterday and loving it. After spending a week on an Enduro it feels tiny!

I've had a search on forum but can't seem to find any threads. Does anyone make pillion peg blanking plates for the M1200S? Checked Evotech, R&G but nothing.

I'm probably going to stick on some nicer tyres for the summer and keep the Scorpions for winter commuting. Does anyone use M7RRs on theirs? I'm so used to buying sportsbike tyres I'm not really sure what's decent in the 'gentleman's shopper' category.

Final question are you supposed to set sag on the bike manually then just use the DSS? Or was this something on the previous model? I seem to remember reading something to that effect a while ago.

10. Set front sag manually (rhs fork leg, iirc each turn in from full out is 15kg) and rear sag using DSS :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Everydays a school day, I never knew that but will get right on it though, as its the front end of bike I have not once felt is perfect, cheers @bradders

12. Definitely lose those trail tyres, the difference is huge once some decent tyres fitted. I only opted for some sport touring Bridgestones as I do quite big miles, but they are far superior to the Scorpions.....(PS...Pictures of bike ? Not seen the "deep sexual grey" yet)

13. So if I am 85kg in my gear I'd be looking at 5.5 turns in from fullly out?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Try that and see how it feels :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Without going into too much detail....what happened with the 1299 to force such a decision???

16. 899 = Major, major issue meant was handed back. Dealt with brilliantly by Black Horse, dealer and DUK.
    1299 = Many things. Warranty job after warranty job. Longest period away from dealers was 5 weeks. Missed a pitch for a big bit of work after it inexplicably died and left me waiting for AA.

Dealer has been amazing throughout my 2 year 6 month Panigale experience and they are the reason I've gone for the Multi. And that I seem to really bloody love it.

I'm still really going to miss my 1299. I frigging well loved it even though it was 30% joy and 70% frustration.

17. Just had a scan of the manual and it mentions

Spring preload initial setting: - 10 turns (fully open)

Is this saying that out of the factory they set it 10 turns from fully open or they just leave it fully open?

Also noticed it's 170mm travel so rider sag i'm probably looking for something around 50-55mm aren't I?

18. Probably because it's a long travel suspension but I don't know for sure :)

19. After you get a few miles on the multi I would really like you to give us an idea on the power difference to your 1299 as I would have to imagine it would be huge
    As to tyres I find the new roadtec 01 to be the best of the sport touring tyres in the dry but the PR4 noticeably better in the wet. I gave up on the scorpions very quickly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information