1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What On Earth Was I Thinking???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, May 31, 2016.

1. For some time now I've been wondering whether I should chop in my 899 Pani for something different like the Diavel or Monster 1200R. The reason for that was twofold:

1. Was I getting the most out of it with day to day road riding?
    2. Should I get something with a lower seat (given that I nearly had a mishap a few weeks ago in Hawes when I was trying to park up on a slight camber)?

Anyway on Saturday I went to Ducati Manchester with @bettes for a look/see and to have a chat. After a quick chat I was taking away a Diavel for the weekend to see if I could live with it.

So me and @bettes headed off first to my house to see how it would fair going up/down the steep/"U turn" banking on the approach to my house and then for a general blast across to Squires at Sherburn.

I had ridden the Diavel a couple of years ago but at the time I wasn't convinced it was the bike for me, and since then maybe things had changed. Maybe.

However in short........Good points and in no particular order are:

1. Low seat
    2. Performance
    3. Handling - a bike that size shouldn't handle like it does.

Bad Points, again in no particular order (for me) are:

1. Ergonomics i - after an hour the seat dug into my back and it was uncomfortable.
    2. Ergonomics ii - after about 15 minutes, because of the positioning of the pegs, my left knee ached like mad. If they were in a sports bike position it wouldn't have been a problem.
    3. Gears - despite using my usual technique of being firm with the gears I had several false neutrals, which I've never experienced on a bike before this one.
    4. Wind blast
    5. Not that I ever use the back brake but if I did it is awkwardly positioned from the right peg.
    6. The mirrors tended to swivel inwards when you rode a bit on the brisk side.
    7. Because of the weight of the bike (41kgs more than the Pani) I found it cumbersome to move/paddle out of my garage into the driveway that is ever so slightly cambered.

So in conclusion I was a bit disappointed that the Diavel didn't do it 100% for me (again), and so I took it back to Ducati Manchester first thing this morning with the thinking that it was back to the drawing board for me. :(

And so I got my Pani back to ride home.

What the feck was I thinking??? No need to go back to the drawing board :)

The 899 Panigale is an awesome bike!!!! What a sound!! What performance!!! What handling!!! And comfortable as a comfortable thing in comfortable street, in comfortable land, in comfortable world!!! :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

What on earth was I thinking? I think I can live with having to be on tip toes now and again :)

:D :D :D

• Like Like x 9
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. yip. been there on and off with the 848 since i picked it up 3yeas ago. if the fugly had a bit more boom boom i wouldn't of bothered. the 899 is more comfy but looks bowf. the multi Apart for the pikes peak looks bowf . but then i jump on the 848 and if everything clicks it becomes a keeper again. decisions decisions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buy a Streetfighter. I know where there's a nice one.

4. Buy some heels

• Like Like x 2
  5. Not hobbit friendly :(

6. Yeah,those higher seats can be Mordor.

• Funny Funny x 5

7. Oi leave my smilies alone you :Stop::Oldman:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I guess it's good to reaffirm the reasons why you bought the Pantiegirdle in the first place...

Love the look of the Diavel but it's not the bike for me yet!

9. what does bowf mean?

have to say if I was looking for something of that ilk and the best I could come up with was the diavel I think id give up riding altogether lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Good to see you've come to your senses. Panigale's are great machines.
    I thought from the word go you shouldn't chop it.

Stick some SWMotech panniers on it and tour.

12. I went through this thinking with my Hypermotard SP, so I tried a Pani 959, after an hour of achy wrists sore back and a backside melting from the exhaust and returned it. As soon as I set off on my Hyper I knew that there's nothing out there that suits my riding style and is as much fun as my Hyper

13. Quite unusual to be a Ducati owner and have never experienced false neutrals.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information