1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Tyre To Fit Onto My Dvt

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by ADS1, May 14, 2016.

1. Need to replace the tyres on my 15 plate DVT.
    What do you recommend ?. Will never off road unless I crash !!

2. Roadtec 01; the bees knees.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Has anyone tried these? I was a Pilot Power fan on my 1200S, interested to see what they are like on a DVT.

4. ;)

#4 Hyperextended, May 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  5. Opinions on tyres are like arseholes, we've all got one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hi there, the replies you have had are the top there for your bike, I'm in thr tyre trade and do it to advise customers correctly not about my own profits first,
    metz Z01's top for wet grip, reasonable mileage, keeps bike nimble feeling.
    Mich pilot road 4 wet grip and fairly quick turn in, puncture repairable by law
    Pirelli Angel GT's slightly more longevity than above, nearly as good in wet
    Anything else would be because you need a tyres for a bike that your using for the wrong purpose, I.E. sports tyres cause you want to get your knees downs or your buying by price and you'll end up with tyres far more older in technology that your bike, older models go cheaper,
    Cheers
    Andy

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've just gone for Metzeler M7 RR's and they're really good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Duc2
    Duc2 has a really good choice if you want a sports response from your bike, you need to work out your requirements for the use of the bike to ensure you buy in the correct type of returns from your tyre

9. Hi Andy, can you expand on the puncture thing please.

10. Hi there, no problem,
    Michelin tyres of a "Z" or "W" speed rating are the only manufacturer that allow one 3mm hole punture to be repaired (there is an area limit which is approx the centre 45% of the tyres tread)
    No other manufacturer will allow their high speed tyres to be repaired, Michelin have been satisfied by their testing of how they produce their carcass that the consumer can still use the tyres as if it were new,
    This is why good tyres supply/fit establishments will refuse to repair other manufacturers tyres with the same problem,
    Secondly the dodgy garages will also use car puncture patches which have a 6mm shaft and will ream the hole to double the safe limit that Michelin have tested, it is all to do with how the carcass is made and how many strands of metal or rylon are broken,
    Another reason for non repair is which has the foreign body punctured a hole at more than 45° to the tyres.
    If a repair was deemed to be the cause of an accident by the rider, police or other party and it was a Michelin, michelin would inspect the repair, if the repair was carried out correctly Michelin would go to court and represent the defending party, As far as I know Michelin have never lost a court proceeding regarding a correct repair, this effectively is support the the rider to obtain compensation from garage or garage to not be held accountable for the wrong reason of accusation,
    to make it known, if a repair cause death in the motortrade the company is held accountable and employees in the chain of command down to the fitter face prison upon corporate manslaughter,
    Ask yourself a question when faced with a puncture that's the fitter has just pis*ed you of with, are YOU really valuing your life to the cost of one or two tyres,
    yes it is not illegal to repair other manufacturers tyres however the manufacturers state do no repairs under there account terms of certain tyres, this means they will not back you or the garage up.

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  11. Just got back having done best part of 500 spirited miles since friday from Reading to Exmoor, round Devon and Somerset and back to Reading. M7RRs performed flawlessly and seriously impressed an S1000RR rider who couldn't lose me through the twisty bits (that'll be most of it). Stonking tyre. Andy

#12 Android853sp, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  12. The new bike picked up 2 punctures in less than 2,000 miles in the standard rear tyre!

I've consistently ridden bikes with repaired rear tyres, I get them repaired at FWR and have never had an issue (£25 per time ride and ride out). Riding in London it's an occupational hazard, especially after heavy rain which washes all the crap into the road.It's always bloody builders with their bloody screws.
    I've generally found the Michelins to be less likely to pick up screws.

Not terribly impressed with the Scorpion's, I think I'll swap for the Metzlers (never tried them before) before I go to France next month, especially after reading the report Stonsie found.

PS I'd love to see a slow motion film sometime of how you actually pick up those punctures with screws...

#13 Twin4me, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  13. So....do we go for heavy weight tyres on the multi or not?

Riding 2 up most of the time so thought I'd ask for when the time comes?

Thanks in advance

14. Mostly two up and some baggage, then I reckon you'll be better on much road 4 GT

• Like Like x 1
  15. @andyt749 thanks for the reply Andy, that's something I knew nothing about.

16. Here you go

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. On Saturday I took a quick look at my rear tyre and decided that after 3500 miles from new, even though it still had some tread on it my rear wasn't going to last another week of commuting (approx. 500 miles) and then a weekend trip to Germany.

I called my local bike shop with the intention of a short-notice trip with a loose wheel for them to fit what they happened to have in stock - I didn't have the luxury of time to shop around and read reviews and so had resigned myself to just getting the easiest option but they had a Bridgestone T30 EVO there, so I went for that even though I have a strong dislike of Bridgestone products although that's based on their sports car tyres.

Knowing I was going to have to get the wheel out at some point I had invested in a 3ft long breaker bar and a suitable socket. Removed the muffler and pillion footrest very easily, but there was no way I could get that wheel nut off. In the end I refitted the muffler and rode it over to shop and they did the whole thing. Ended up paying about £180 ride-in-ride-out which on reflection wasn't too horrible.

So what's the tyre like? Yesterday I rode from Watford, Hertfordshire up to Peterborough for the MCN show. Mostly a long straight blast up the A1M so not very indicative, although it was absolutely fine. This morning's commute on the A413 which has many fast and long sweeping bends, it was at least comparable to the OE fitment. I quite liked the Pirelli but it didn't last very long, but the T30EVO is as good and possibly better but I've not started to explore the grip too much just yet as I've only covered about 170 miles.

Quite relieved to see that the T30 made it into the top 3 in the MCN test, which helps validate my rushed purchase, but my own early experience would suggest that their opinion of the tyre is a fair one. I quite like it and might replace the front sooner than later.

18. Hi rainman,
    You may wonder why I am replying but just want you to be ok, can you confirm that you had a pair of Angel GT's as standard prior to the T30EVO?
    Please do not explore high lean angles to find what grip is like yet, you haven't chosen a bad tyres but the rear profile is very much more "V" shaped and quick, aggressive cornering, this unbalanced the chassis as the rear wants to tip in faster than the front,
    Kindly saying bring your front replacement forward before you stretch your legs, I have no money to make from this but just being a lookout for you,
    Ride safe
    Andy

19. Hi Andy,

I had/have the OE fitment Pirelli Scorpion, not Angel GT. Turn-in, etc, on the T30 doesn't feel very different to the Scorpion's. I already have it in mind to replace the front before I head for Germany at the weekend. This weekend my biggest challenge was actually getting the wheel out of the bike. A valid point nonetheless, so thanks for your concern.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information