1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Which 749r 2004 Or 2005 ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Chris B, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone,

I have been offered here in NZ a choice of either a Ducati 749r 2004 with carbon fairings in good to excellentl condition with 39,000km on board, or a 2005 ducati 749r in excellent condition non carbon fairing with 18,000km.

Neither have a service history and both look identical...and original.

Which one to buy as a future investment...Heart tells me to buy the 2004 Carbon model but 39000km is high...or is it ?

Sensibility tells me to buy the 2005 with less km and a bit better nick.

Do they tell me to buy both !!!

The 2004 is cheaper than the 2005.

I can do any mechanical / engine work myself if needed, but neither would be ridden much at all anyway, if at all.

Help !! What a choice...

2. I'd go 2005 and then buy carbon fairings but I'm no expert

• Like Like x 1
  3. Unless the 2004 is a lot cheaper I would buy the 2005

4. buy em both !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 2004 would be my choice

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. The two bikes should not look identical. The 2004 model with have 4 vents in the nose cone around the projector headlights and the 2005 should have only 2. If they are identical the 2005 registered bike is a pre face lift model, in which case buy the 2004 carbon fairing bike. The carbon bike is the more sought after in the UK and there are not many of them. Some minor revisions were done to the later year models but nothing significant. 39000km is not high mileage if regularly maintained. It's down to asthetics really, both pre and post face lift bikes have their champions but for me if I could only have one, it would be the 2004 carbon model. Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Neither bike has any service history, so high mileage could be a problem.

8. Yes your quite right the 2004 model has 4 vents and the 2005 has 2...identical was not a good word...similar in most respects is better !

9. Haha knew someone would say that...well just maybe !

• Like Like x 1
  10. '04 as mentioned above the carbon is more desirable, rarer and has more chance of holding its value.

What ever the serivce history.. get it sorted yourself for piece of mind.. it may cost BUT at least youll be happy and comfortable in the knowledge that you're looking after the bike

11. where in nz are ya?

12. buy the carbon 04 and rebuild the engine with mild tune you know your have a good un then!! :upyeah:

13. Hi, yes very tempting but I am going to buy the 2005...I know it does not have the Carbon Fibre fairings, but it appears to not have been raced and very weel looked after. The problem with the 2004 model is so many were initially used for track work (why they were produced) and chances are had a harder life. I do have available to buy a left and right carbon fairing...just not a front fairing yet. I know the car insurance hold there value better but 39000km against a 18000km model that is perfect by all accounts may end up being the same longterm value ? God wish I could buy both....

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have one available :Smuggrin:

15. I would buy the 05 bike with lower miles on it. 39,000 is too many and be difficult to sell later. Most R's are low milage toys/ornaments and thats what buyers look for.
    Facelift looks better too and carbon fairing is hard to replace if damaged where as any later fairing will fit 05 749R.
    The 05 terblend fairings arent much heavier than carbon.

16. Yes as I concluded. Thank you for your thoughts...I may look at getting the carbon fairings I have been offered though, look good hanging on the wall above it..but I will be riding this bike.

Where I live in NZ I am blessed, go out the gate turn left or right and rolling countryside roads all 2 lane, and if early in the morning when the air is cooler and denser the sound is just wonderful, and probably hardly see a single car in a 30 minute ride.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You can go off people you know :Bag:. Lucky B :D :upyeah:. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Where abouts in NZ are you @Chris B ?

19. The resale value of the 04 is only worth more if you would then sell it at a later date. If the bike is a keeper for life then that is irrelevant. Obviously you never know the future...

I would go 05 as i much prefer the look.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Hey all,
    Yep excited to buy the 2005 749r, Have had a look at it and it looks pretty much perfect for 18000km.

Your thoughts though, the front and rear tyre where scrubbed up...like someone knew how to ride that bike right to the tyre limit...so getting some things checked...as it is Japanese import with no service history.

Oil change and filter change, the shop mechanic will cut open the filter and inspect it for any particles. Also a oil pressure test and a compression test, and a good listen to the engine. By all accounts he is very qualified and should hear any odd noises outside clutch rattle.

When it started it sounded a little knocky, but nothing to different than what I hear on you tube videos... like they all do ? to some extent ?, pulled in the clutch and most of the knock disappeared...but not totally, could still make it out.

Revved it to around 5000rpm a few times and noise disappeared with rpm increase. Having clutch in our out made no difference, hold at 5000rpm and listen and not a sound but rpm.

Anything I need to also check or be aware of...?

Pretty sure it's not been raced as the condition is to perfect. Don't think the engine has been worked on at all as no marks on any head bolts or case bolts at all.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information