1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Bike

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Eddie Cox, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Hi.

I've just joined this forum but it's not the first time I've owned a Ducati. I had to sell my much loved 748 about 3 years ago. I am now in the market for another. I have been looking around and keeping within my budget I have decided between a 1098s or a standard 1198, I seem to be seeing them go for between £7000-£8000, now I know this question has been asked a 1000 times but which is the best one to go for? I'm not planing to do track days but you never know and reading reviews the 1098s seems to be rated very high but I wanted to ask, as you guys probably have more experience on both these bikes.

Thanks Eddie

2. 1198 had improved bottom end - safest option out of these 2 although all 1098's don't go pop of course. For your budget try and get an 1198 :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. hello and welcome dude.
    what exige said...

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Thanks for the quick replies. My old 748 had Showa forks and rear shock but always wanted the Ohlins. Will I not miss this on the 1198 as I can't strech to a 1198s.

Thanks Eddie.

5. Someone will have tried both - wouldn't think there would be a massive difference if set up well.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. I've not ridden a **98 but would imagine the modern showas would be vastly better than the 748 ones. Not that the 748 ones were bad. I have Ktech internals in mine and the are nice.

7. I would go with a 1198 tbh, you can always tweak the suspension later and I used a 1098s Ohlins shock in my 848 and it was still set up horribly for the road so better to get a stock 1198 and then tweak it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. There will be lots of difference between standard showa and ohlins. Eg 3 clicks on ohlins and most will feel the difference, 6 on showa and probably not (IME). I changed my 848 to Ohlins and the difference was instant. But...I'd take an 1198 over a 1098 simply because the motor seems better and smoother and there are less horror stories about the later models re big ends and gearboxes (as long as no QS fitted). You can always spend £500 on re-springing and building the showa suspension and thats good enough for most on the road :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Not really, they are night and day just like they were when I went from showa to ohlins on a 2000 748 to a 1999 SPS :)

10. Thanks.
    For some it's not alot of money but for me it is. I'm going to swear now. I'm normally a Guzzi man apart from my old 748 but with the loss of so many dealers over the last few months and the fact they are rubbish to deal with, when I decided to get another bike I couldn't even think about Guzzi. Looks like it's going to be a 1198 and after looking at one at a dealer yesterday which I fell in love with. Then thanks.

Eddie.

• Like Like x 3
  11. good luck mate. Be sure to put lots of pics up when you find one!

12. Hi.
    So the general impression is to leave the 1098 alone?
    Thanks.

13. I think the only problem with the 1098 bearings was on the 2007 model. I think they upgraded the part after 2008 but not all 2007 models failed.

They're both cracking bikes and you won't go far wrong with either. Maybe if you went with the std 1198, you might end up splashing out £1,500 on the öhlins front forks and shock...

14. I believe the upgrade in diameter was on the 1098 SF which used the new 1198 bottom end. The bearings may have been changed but I've heard of some failing on newer bikes - it is not an epidemic though - far from it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Or possibly an early 899 if you don't mind a less powerful bike and your budget allows? I've seen them about for little over £8k. On the whole they don't seem to have any major problems as yet

16. The other option is a tidy 848 special edition, has loads of power and traction control and the Ohlins rear shock and on the silver and black ones the bigger fuel tank which helps give a 100+ tank range! Just a thought, it's less of a beast to get your head around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. welcome, join the map below!

18. Hi.
    Still looking, but I come across the Diaval and to be honest I have been taken back by it what a bike. Any experience on these? Looking a Carbon model for £9000 which is my top budget but they do seem to be holding value.

Thanks Eddie.

19. My two penn'orth on the Diavel:

It handles way better than you would think from the way it looks. It's a lot of fun to ride, especially through bends (it is a Ducati). Quite comfortable too, although the standard seat may be a touch too low for some (the touring seat is better if you have longer legs). A really good bike for making progress through traffic, because the upright riding position helps to enable good all-round vision.

I have ridden the Diavel both standard & with a Rexxer remap, and it's even more fun with the remap. Like all bikes though, try before you buy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information