1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Which Model Is Best For Track Bike

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Ryan P, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

Good to meet you all here. This year I got a 2014 899 and loved it. Until I took it on to the track and where I f-ing loved it. So after a few track days, and I still consider myself a novice, I was wondering which model Duke (899/959/1199/1299) you would get to convert to a full track bike.

Just wondering what your thoughts are before I start modifying my 899.

Cheers

2. Get suspension sorted and use 899. Cracking bike and perfect forUK tracks :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bought an 899 a few months ago simply to use as a track bike. As Bradders said, get a few things sorted like the suspension etc and you'll not notice the difference between an 899 or an 1199. I borrowed 1 for a few sessions at BRNO back in June, hence buying 1

4. What's Brno like? I'm off there in June. Looking forward to it.

5. Depends on the track and your ability

There's not a huge amount of people who are able to tap the extra power of the bigger panigales.

I use my 899 on track and it's great, get the suspension set up (have the rear rebuilt) and it's spot on!

You'll probably be shagging rear tyres quicker on the bigger bike also!

6. Thanks. Erm, it's the track at Brno and my ability is low to middle fast group usually. I'm ok but not brilliant.
    So a strong compound rear? Just had the rear shock rebuilt so that's good! Cheers..

7. When you say the shock has been rebuilt has it been re shimmed? Because the issue with the rear is that the shim is too restrictive and causes it to lock out..

8. Not a clue mate. I'll get back to Ducati John in Leeds. He sent it out for rebuild. Thanks for the heads up.

9. I think it depends on budget and riding preference.

I would go 959 over the 899. It has a few advantages over the 899 (a major negative is the exhaust, I'll admit. However that can be sorted). There are 3 959's at my local dealer for under £11k, and most 899's are still over £9k. You get a slightly newer, improved bike, still under warranty, for not a lot more.

However, if you can stretch to a 1299s, I would do that. It is no harder to do the same lap time on this than on an 899/959, you don't have to spend any more money on it to get it riding well, and as you get more confidence it has so much more potential. If I had known how easy the 1299 was to ride, I would never have bothered with the 959. Some will say we are not skilled enough to get everything out of the 1299, but the reality is we will not get everything out of an 899 either, and the grin under your helmet twisting the throttle on a 1299 is amazing!

Just remember, whichever one you gets really needs a standard exhaust to get on track in UK.

10. I personally wouldn't bother with the S model for track work myself

11. Why? I can't see any disadvantage. The wheels alone make it worthwhile, without even considering the other advantages.

12. I thought it was pretty common knowledge of the limitations of the elecy suspension on track for faster riders?

I heard that round Almeria it was tested and standard for standard the base model bike was quicker as well.

Personally I'd go base model and if required go for the cartridge fork kit and ttx rear. Probably work out cheaper and has been proven to be faster..

Bit like on the BMW, the suspension on that is fantastic on the road but I found it struggled ultimately on track.

#12 Advikaz, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. Where to start?!...

I suppose I need to start with what was being tested and how. For instance was it 1199 or 1299, and were they testing the 1299 in adaptive or manual modes? And within whichever of those it was, did they make any setting changes? I find it almost impossible to believe that when the 1299s allows you (if you want) to switch to manual and set everything individually to your preferences, that it isn't at least the equal of the base model suspension (and would certainly be the equal of the upgrade you suggested for the base model). I know some electronic suspension cannot be set to manual and adjusted just the same as "normal" ohlins, but they can on the 1299s. Incidentally, the 1299s has Öhlins NIX30 43mm front forks and TTX36 rear shock.... I very much doubt a cartridge kit is better, and the TTX would be no different! I think the Internet goblins have been telling stories! Unless I'm missing something?...

....and a comparison against the BMW is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Full electronic suspension on the BmW was better than a full race bike (not mega bucks stuff) when they tested the hP4. Simply put, once you have the spring weights right for you, the electronics work in ways we simply cannot comprehend a standard 'one size fits all' system. Am guessing it also feels very different back to back with a conventional system, which may explain some of the initial lap time differences.

Given how my multi works, I'd take auto over manual any time :)

15. Fair enough

I don't have a big enough knowledge on the active suspension to comment further. But this wasn't internet talk it was people I know from the trade, some of which where race mechs and some ex riders.

#15 Advikaz, Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Tbf as it's used in no major race series, it's no surprise riders prefer traditional suspension. But I'm sure at points a lot would have preferred regular compression rather high/low speed comp.

I am a little surprised that no one has tried to use in BSB (probably not in the rules) or WSBK (where forks cost 12k)
    :)

17. Depends how big your budget is too
    If you've got a big budget, then getting a 1299S is a no brainer as it's the best of the current bunch of Pani's on the track by some margin.
    If you're looking at the 9-11k bracket, then the only real advantage the 959 offers over the 899 on track is the slipper clutch, but you can retro fit one to an 899 for circa £700.
    I've done a fair few laps on both 1299 and 1299S, and was consistently quicker on the S than the standard bike (although both are great track bikes, I might add)
    As said above, you can set a million different paremeters on the elec 1299S suspension to suit what you want, and the level of standard equipment is exceptionally good.
    If I was to have an 899 as a track bike, the basics I'd do first would be lighter wheels (same for 959), brakes and slipper clutch

#17 graeme4130, Dec 17, 2016
  18. Really enjoying the responses and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

19. 1299s every time if money is no object. Pulling wheelies in 3rd gear at 120mph is never going to be boring, even more so when you know the bike keeps the wheelies under control. Nor is seeing 170mph on the clocks on a relatively short straight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Get ya self and older 1198!! No electrical help just good old v twin grunt!!

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information