1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Which Oil

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Kenneth, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Hi, just wondering what oil you use on the MultiStrada 1200. It's a mates 2010 1200 bike and was asking me.
    Also best to buy genuine filter too??

Thanks
    Kenneth

2. My local dealership recommends/uses Motul 300V 15w.. (whatever it is), however I have it on good authority silkolene do a very good V-twin type also. Personally the filter on mine will remain standard but K&N are the brand people hark on about'

3. The recommended oil is Shell Advance Ultra 4T 15w50 but any fully synthetic bike oil of 15w50, 15w40 or 10w40 should be ok. Alternative filter is a Mahle OC5.

4. I'd stick with the oil weight recommended in the manual (15w50 for the 2013 Multi....not sure about the 2010). Remember that the lower the number the thinner the oil. I think as long as you stick with a major brand you wont go wrong.

5. I used an alternative oil brand and weight. When my engine got assessed (blew up), they deemed my oil was still within spec (as per the temperature ratings in the Ducati handbook) and fully paid out (not Ducati or dealer but finance company). Oil was not deemed the cause and it had been changed recently (by me with receipts as proof). Basically goes to show you can use any brand so long as the weight fits the user guide section and the temps you are riding in.

6. For clarification...
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 09.09.47.png

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. My local official ducati only dealer recommended to use motul, it is better then the shell oil. They say ducati Italy knows this, but has to stick to shell due to contracts with shell.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information