1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whos Done The Swing Arm Pivot Shaft Lately?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by chizel, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ? After the nightmare I had when rebuilding the 748 (had to cut the swing arm off as weeks of penetration fluid and large hammer didn't work) I swore I would remove and grease it every year..
    it's now been nearly 2 years and I"ve not... So im gunna get done this week. Are all the dukes like this? As in would my 749 and ss be as much of a drama if neglected or just the sssa models due to the setup?

2. Don't know about the others but I remove mine on the 748 every year and grease it up, takes about five minutes.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. 5 minutes??!!??

4. should do..

5. On a 749/999 too??

6. oh! Not sure about that! Never done one but the 748 should only take that if seen to before it wields its self to the spacers...

7. Yep, undo the bolt then tap it out, grease it up and tap it back in, nothing moves, nothing drops off, , nothing has to be supported, i do it on the paddock stand.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Wow...

9. How? How does it not collapse? ALL the way out?

10. Laws of Physics perhaps :) There is little pressure to speak of in its rest position at the pivot.

11. The top hat bush that goes through the bearing protrudes through about 5 mm into the frame both sides and holds it together.
    Steve
    That's why you can't remove the swing arm without removing the engine first or ( springing the frame apart) not recommended.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I'm glad I didn't try that on my SS...............

I did this instead......

SW2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I take no pleasure in saying this but it doesn't seem to apply to the 999 - my motor has dropped out of alignment with the frame and the threads on the pin are very likely to be buggered where I was trying to tap it back int place.

Bugger...

14. Oh yes there is and it moves... :/

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. I did some googling on removing the grey 999 swing arm today and it just said to tap the bolt out. Hadn't gathered you were about to try this.....

16. All my comments have been associated to the original post regarding the 748/916 bikes, hope you get yours sorted @Old rider
    Steve
    I did say in my first post I didn't know about the other bikes mentioned, only the 748.

#16 Birdie, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. So, we now have an additional piece of knowledge - on the 749 / 999 bikes tap a spare pivot or bar through while removing the existing pivot. :Nailbiting::Sorry:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Well now we know just knocking the pin out to grease it doesn't apply to the 999 :/

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sorted.
    After much struggling, managed to jack the swing arm and motor up enough to knock the pin back in.
    Luckily the design is such that the thread is well protected and didn't suffer.
    I think the solution is to just knock the pin a little way out then squirt grease in from the left side and smear it in on the right, then knock it back.

• Like Like x 1
  20. How was the language????

Do Not Sell My Personal Information