1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Winter Sprucing

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Cream_Revenge, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Nearly ready for spring.

2nd hand BP seat fitted so I can spray the mono seat. Eventually I'll spray plain red.

uploadfromtaptalk1456495216735.jpg

Heal plates fitted and heat shield polished.

uploadfromtaptalk1456495297659.jpg

Spare fuel cap sprayed and lock swapped. Not 100% on this yet and red is not quite right.

uploadfromtaptalk1456495347766.jpg

Hugger and swing arm cover fitted and frame plugs.

uploadfromtaptalk1456495376684.jpg

Also tidied up some flaking engine paint, cleaned inside fairing, round front sprocket etc. Fitted CF V panel.

Next job I'd to take off front number board and see condition underneath.

Want to polish pipes but will wait to get a bench grinder first.

Also want datatag sticker off tank but worried about it leaving a mark.....

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nice*

* apart from the fuel cap, which is nasty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Because the red doesn't quite match or 'cos it's red?

Did consider black.

And original is going to be gold, as close to OEM as I can get.

Good thing about painting yourself is you can always change it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Can you get "Rosso red" in body paint?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Should be Anniversary Red i believe. It was from Halfords made up from the paint code.

There is a place in high Wycombe that does bike paints so i'll take a ride up there when the sun comes and get them to match it right. Got a bit of touching up to do where the single seat has been rubbing the air box, couldn't see with the mono seat on but can with Biposto seat.

6. Whole point of Datatag is that removing the sticker will leave visible evidence. Never tried to remove one before but patience and the sparing use of an alcohol based cleaner should do it. Andy

7. Ah, now I get it. Very good.

8. Just googled it, application of hair dryer to WARM the label and help release it followed by a clean up with WD40. A word of caution, depending on how long the sticker has been applied to the tank, the paint around it will have faded. Andy

9. Took one off the nose of the GSXR a few months back fine. hair dryer and a Waitrose loyalty card followed by GT85.
    More a case of it the paint has faded around it.......

10. Believe it or not, i had typed while you were!!!!! Great minds and all that....

11. Yeh, with my reputation it'll be the second half of that quote that I get stuck with :(. Andy

12. Looking good mate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Very tidy!

14. Looking good, do you ever go to work?
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tidy bike, looks very clean but not keen on a few things, but thats just my taste. Filler cap is not good IMO, black won't look much better. If theres ever a bike in history not try stuff like that on then the 748-998 series is it. Either be patient and wait for a good oem one if yours was damaged or Hammerite smooth gold is a good match.

16. Sssshhhhhh........

17. Bought some gold spray from the local arts/craft this week to do the original one standard, was the closest match I could find. As I said, just experimenting. I do welcome the feedback.

18. Acid 8 primer, Hammerite Smooth Gold and a Matt lacquer to finish and it will look spot on. I still have a spare cap freshly sandblasted if you need it.

19. Thx , but have a 2nd.

You don't like the outer rim being the frame grey either???

20. Not personally but it's not my bike. I think things like that should remain standard on a road bike. You can get away with aftermarket stuff on track bikes and usually looks good and does the job. Fitting other ducati parts works but modifying like that imo makes it look tacky and is pointless. But its your bike so don't listen to me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information