1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodcraft Bar Risers (749)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Penfold, Dec 27, 2016.

1. I'm thinking of getting Woodcraft bar raisers (as above) as my wrists and back are starting to pay for the riding position, and I have a dodgy elbow so cant straighten my arm properly hence I have an altered riding position. I like that the clamps split in half. I am planning to do the R1 throttle mod at the same time.

I have a number of questions though.

1) What I'm asking is how easy are they to fit?

2) I'm thinking that to get the old bars off I will need to remove the switching gear etc., steering damper, and top triple yoke. Is there anything else I need to watch do?

3) I'm thinking 1"/1.5" risers so will the cables need changing/altering or should there be enough slack?

4) Will the new bars need anything doing to them (holes drilled etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

2. I have cyclecat raised clipons on my 05 999. They came with round clutch and brake reservoir kits that fit on brackets that bolt on the inboard end of the bar. Cyclecat seemed to think the originals would foul something??All original cables and hydraulics are used. I have them as high and flat(the bar tubes have a concentric cone sleeve to vary angle) as possible. Round town I have to ride with my hands outboard with little finger round the bar end, otherwise when on full lock my gloves can catch the fairing cutout. I don't find it a problem as its a habit now and only took an hour or 2 to get used to. Well worth it as the bike is so much more comfortable. I can post some pics if you like.

3. please.. although I'd like use the original reservoirs, dont think round looks good on the 749/999

4. The round kit was supposedly reqd for the bars to fit but i cant see where std would touch anything. I got them s/h. I like the reservoirs, old school. As you can see not much raise and tight at the upper fairing. I cant angle them back any more as my thumbs would get trapped, but they made it comfortable for my lanky old body. IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4473.JPG IMG_4474.JPG IMG_4475.JPG IMG_4477.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. i had the helibars fitted to 999 and found they made a huge difference, they completely change the bar angle (sit a lot flatter rather than drop)rather than have the raised part at yoke end, no need to change anything else, easy to fit, only thing is I also hit my knuckles on full lock but not to much a problem, i also fitted the sergent seat(stops you slidding forward which also helps), ive had back surgery twice and the bike was pretty unridable before i changed these

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I have had the same gilles risers on my 998 then my 999s and now on my 999R . I did have to make longer throttle/fast idle cables on both my 999s and R . I have the existing oil reservoirs on . Mine are slightly flatter and higher and further back. The gilles one are multi adjustable and I think I had to machine them slightly bigger to fit the 999.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I have the Renthals and the original reservoirs do foul. Very annoying.
    Was this difficult, what did it entail? I need to do this.

8. No it wasn't difficult at all I took the throttle cable and the fast idle cable off .I purchased some brass nipples and some new outer cable and inner cable . I used most of the original cable parts and renewed what I needed . Just make sure you put it back as it was but 50mm longer . You would probably be better if you marked it all up on your work bench before you disassemble your original cables .

Mine was over revving on tight turns .More due to the fast idle than the throttle but I did them both . work out how much longer you need them before you take them out of the air box . Air box was probably the most awkward bit of the job .

9. That's great thanks. Mine does the same, only ever an issue when parking but still a problem. Did you just buy the bits from Venhills or similar?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information