1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Would Love To Tour On The 1200r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by spanish, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Love my 1200r and would love to take it further afield and on longer trips. I think luggage can be accommodated, though some limit on quantity for touring, but my main consideration is reducing wind blast. I realise it is a naked bike by design and ' horses for courses' ( I have an aged Multistrada that I use for touring) but still would love to use the Monster for distant trips and wind for me is the limiting factor.

Recently spent 300 miles on a Kawasaki 1000sx. The riding position was similar but it's screen effective-and it did not look that bad either.

Wondered if its is possible to put such a screen on the Monster ideally in such a way that it can easily be added or removed. Obviously attachments need designing and fabricating but this surely cannot be that much of a hassle.

Probably will have to coninue to use the Multi for long trips and the Monster for for sheer delight! Any ideas?

2. Slip of finger-Tour!

Aware of thread but nothing offered that would allow the role I would like for the bike. Wondered about the possibility of adapting a screen from another bike. Suggested the screen system form the Kawasaki 1000sx and wondered if anyone has experience of design and build. Aware Palmer products have done some original work and might be worth an email?

3. Actually did a few miles the other day on mine and felt the stock screen (although small) is actually quite effective when arms are bent a bit more and head lowered).
    Above 85ish and you start to notice some wind. 95ish a bit of head tug goes on.
    Those wavey puig screens are fugly IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spanish I appreciate what you want to try to do and the fact that the Monster doesn't give you anything like the wind protection that the Multi does. Have you considered that your helmet may be contributing to the problem? A lighter helmet can make a big difference. I switched from an Aria Quantum (1.5kg) to an HJC RPHA-ST (1.35kg) and the difference is very noticeable. With the HJC it's much easier to keep my head still at speed.

To be honest if you want to tour on the Monster I'd suggest that you just do it. It's never going to be the perfect tourer, but so what, just get on and have some fun. I've ridden 600+ miles in a day on an M1100, an M1100 evo and a SF848 without any issues from a lack of wind protection. They all cruise quite comfortably at about 80ish. The more that you ride the bike the stronger your neck muscles will become and the less of an issue the lack of wind protection is likely to be. I've always found when touring that other parts of my anatomy start hurting way before my neck causes me problems.

As far as luggage goes I just strap a waterproof bag (30 litre Oxford Aqua or 49 litre Ortlieb Rack-Pack) to the pillion seat with Rok Straps (I do add some D-rings under the tail to make strapping the bag on easier) and fit a small tank bag (for phone, wallet, keys, map and visor wipes) and I'm off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I agree with suneye

I have done 840 miles in a day with no problems from wind
    With no screen at all.

I even won an iron butt trophy for my efforts.

Don't ruin your 1200r by trying to turn it into a multi ;)

Rick

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information