1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Would Repainting A 1098r Seat Unit Be Sacrilege?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Maccaa, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Hi all,

Whilst progressing my lighter sub frame project on my 1198s, I have been offered an new, original 1098R seat unit at a very attractive price.

I am not a great one for the white number board/gold edge of the 1098R fitted to an 1198s and dont wish to stick white number boards on the front fairing to make it ok..ish.

I am thinking of keeping the carbon/painted aspect of the unit but making it carbon and red with a subtle ducati detail, any one else have thoughts on this?

Ta

Maccaa

2. Your money, your seat when you pay for it. I have my doubts that the carbon will take kindly to paint removal and to be perfectly frank, that is one expensive seat unit to get it wrong. It's very hard for me to resist the temptation to offer you a swap, the 1098R seat for a Fullsix carbon seat. Andy

3. If you are going to paint it anyway, would an aftermarket carbon seat unit not be a cheaper option?

I keep looking at them ready to pull the trigger if I see a sensibly priced 1098R one come up for sale that I can keep for a spare. But I haven't seen a bargain yet.

#3 Robarano, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  4. Buy the one you have been offered, sell it to Rob and then buy an aftermarket one with the proceeds!

5. Tease ! :)

6. Oh ! I asked first ! Andy

7. Oh yeah, missed that, soz!

8. Don't worry, there are a few bargains about. Elitesuperdick has one at a mere £1,200. :Wideyed: Although it is from a 0 mile bike :Hilarious: Honestly, how many 0 miles bikes does this bloke have?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hmmm, all very very valid points, @Robarano its less than the price you mention, but agree with with you that it may make more sense to buy an aftermarket, I just like to do things right.

@Android853sp do you not think a gentle rub back of the white and gold and a respray over would be "dangerous" if I left the rest of the scheme the same ?.

One query that I do now have, previously asked about my original seat unit, is does the traction control unit fit onto the 1098r seat or use a mount on the subframe? I had it all Worked out before this option came along!!

10. The standard Ducati TC unit bolts onto the 1098R seat unit. There are 3 captive nut in the seat unit that the rubber damped bolts of the TC unit screw into.

My bike has Nemesis TC which physically will bolt to the seat unit but because of the bolt pattern, it would be orientated upside down.
    Nemesis do manufacture a bracket that bolts onto the subframe, but this can't be used with the standard seat unit as it catches the underside of said unit. My bike had track panels fitted when I bought it, so this wasn't an issue. The beauty of the bracket is that you can remove your seat unit without the need to remove the tc unit too.
    I had to manufacture my own bracket that had the Nemesis unit sit lower in the subframe to allow me to fit the stock seat.
    Here's a picture of the Nemesis subframe mount for their TC unit.

[​IMG]

I have seen pictures of subframes without the tubing running front to back, which would allow the TC unit to be positioned lower down and potentially not foul the seat unit, but this tube was present on my R

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I have the bracket like the first picture on my R.
    The standard DTC unit is fitted with an aftermarket carbon seat unit.

12. Not dangerous, just from my experience with a pair of 998 carbon fairing panels. The paint was very thin and my hope to expose and highlight the weave proved a challenge too far. More likely a lack of talent on my part but the end result was so disappointing, I abandoned the idea and got the panels professionally resprayed. Like Robarano says, I think most 1098R owners wouldn't hesitate if offered a genuine seat unit at a sensible price because the seat unit so vulnerable and so bloody expensive to replace. That breaker on ebay has been trying to sell a used one for months at £1200 but had no takers. Andy

13. Re-: removing paint, maybe somebody 'in the know' could answer but if they applied paint on top of the fully lacquered unit (and then re-lacquered the finished item) then paint removal wouldn't be too bad. I did similar on a carbon fibre helmet and the lacquer/paint procedure was as above so little chance of damaging the weave as had plenty of warning while removing paint. To answer the OP's title: – yes (--:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information