1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Would You Buy An Ex-demo Bike ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by HyperMac, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Hi Folks, Just gauging opinion. Would you invest your hard earned in an ex-demo bike ?
    My doubts would be the bike getting hammered from cold etc , etc.
    I have bought an ex-demo car before and it was fine, good deal etc. But feel it could be bit different with a performance bike.
    The bike in question is from a Ducati dealer, 2013 S model. With less than 2K on the clock. And has had one owner since being a demo.
    Thanks in advance for input

2. So you wouldn't really be buying an ex demo bike now then? So basically it's like every other used bike out there that's up for sale?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Good point.
    But realistically had a few owners before that too.
    It looks a good bike, and probably just need to envisage as you say that it has had just one careful owner :kissingclosed:

4. How do you know that the "one owner" hasn't ragged it for the past 3 years. I would suggest that more wear and tear has taken place in full ownership rather than the demo stage given that demo's are usually no more than a couple of hours.

5. No. I would assume that it was not run in properly.

If you buy from an individual you have the opportunity to get a feel for their views on in importance of running in, thrashing a cold engine, etc.,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. The running in bit wouldn't bother me

But how's its been looked after would.. they often get ridden in all weather and left outside when it's pissing down

Then someone's going to jump on it and give it the berries from cold

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 2k mls in 3(ish) years suggests sunny Sunday afternoons only.

8. Exactly. People don't do test rides unless it's dry/sunny.

And it's in the dealers interests to keep a bike looking in tip top condition to show the bike off at its best So they can sell lots.

9. Thanks for replies. Few things come up I really hadn't thought of . I'm thinking more on the positive side now than before.
    Next issue is I'm still overseas, so can't get to see the bike in person. So hope the dealer is an honest sort of guy .
    Or I need to learn to be just a bit more patient.

10. It's not unknown for individuals on this forum being prepared to pop into a local dealer to check a bike over and report back if you are concerned. You don't lose anything by asking. Andy

11. ^^^^^^^as above, any excuse to visit a bike shop.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. I took out a brand new 1299s in december last year and it was pissing down only had 20 miles on the clock not everyone is scarred to get wet or take it easy.

14. I would suggest you are the exception rather than the rule.

15. I was more shocked i was allowed to take it out. But they did make a sale.

16. When I picked mine up I was told not to worry too much about running it in.

Just don't labour the engine unnecessarily and get on with riding it.

Realistically with bikes that are this powerful and test riders that are unfamiliar with the bike, how much thrashing would they actually do on a test ride?

If the bike is tidy and well maintained, I'd go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. My first ride on a 1299 was in torrential rain (unplanned). Made me take it easy. When it dried later on I gave it a blast or two but nothing that would even start to hurt it.
    Dealers do fettle with the demo. You could look at the other way, it may have had a better early life than some new owners may give it.
    Do Aylesbury give a one year warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information