1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Would You Buy An Ex-demo Bike ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by HyperMac, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Hopefully hear back from them today regards warranty etc.

2. Not according to the dealers I've spoken to.

I've a great relationship with my local dealers, and have spoken to then numerous times and they've all said they feel sorry for the demo bikes as they get abused and not cared for.

But do say it's a testament to how strong the bikes are these days.

I often drop in during the week for a cup of tea when I'm in the the area with work and the bikes are just sitting outside rain or shine.

3. When are Ducati implementing this 2 year warranty on used bikes ?it will certainly make buying second hand a lot less worrying , I have alway purchased second hand items on condition and I personally would not buy a Ducati that has been through a few winters, there will always be a few tell tail signs of winter use.I have never liked the way OYB put most of there second hand bikes out in all weathers they should at least put them under some type of canopy and there presentation of used bikes is not the best, they seem to keep the best ones inside the showroom.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  4. Who?

5. If the dealers are admitting that they don't look after and care for there own bikes then I certainly wouldn't be letting them look after anything of mine.

Italia Moto's demo bikes always look factory fresh and are immaculately presented. I recently learnt that they also employ a retired biker on a part time basis to do the tedious running in miles on there demo bikes. I would have no hesitation purchasing an ex demo from them...

I am not suggesting all dealerships are the same though as it sounds like they most certainly aren't, just my 10 pence worth on the subject :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have bought two demo bikes in the past.
    My first 916 and my 998.
    Never had a probleme with them related to being an demo bike.
    So yes i would do it again.

Henk!!!

7. Don't know about anyone else, but it seems a tad expensive to me.
    I suppose you take your chances, but given the choice, I wouldn't buy an ex demo bike after the way I've ridden demonstrators in the past, you just don't give them the mechanical sympathy or respect you'd give your own bike.

8. Hi
    I would say if you are concerned about it look elsewhere, there are plenty for sale . There is a 13 plate 1200S skyhook on e-bay for pretty much the same price , with 1800 miles , doesnt have the panniers or lights or satnav mount , but its got a Termi full system.
    In 2011 i bought a 6 month old Aprilia RSV4 as an ex-demo from an aprilia dealer, the gearbox broke after 12 months , and was off the road for 4 months waiting for parts , but was covered under manufacturers warranty. They were known to have problems with the gearbox.

9. Apparently Bike already sold to another customer now.
    Thanks for all the input anyway gents
    Cheers

10. Buying a demo bike is fine, if it's cosmetically sound then why not?

All this talk about them possibly being thrashed from cold or not run in correctly is a bit of a worry about nothing.

They all get hammered on the dyno at the factory before being crated for a start, I've stood there and seen it happen.

Just buy whatever you want bud

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. P&H often have demos for sale, and they had a fair few used bikes last week. Give Marcus a call and tell him what you are looking for.
    Used Bikes - P&H Motorcycles Ltd

12. [
    Italia Moto's demo bikes always look factory fresh and are immaculately presented. I recently learnt that they also employ a retired biker on a part time basis to do the tedious running in miles on there demo bikes.[/QUOTE]

Hope I can find a job like that when I'm retired.... just 24 years to go....!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hope I can find a job like that when I'm retired.... just 24 years to go....![/QUOTE]

Me and you both! Trying my best to be first in line for that job in 23 years time so may just pip you at the post lol...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I think it would depend on the dealer. For example, Frasers in Sydney have a salesman accompany you on another bike when you go for a demo ride, so the likelihood of the demo rider thrashing the bike is lower. Yes, I'd buy a demo from a dealer like Frasers.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information