1098 1098r I Like The Look Of

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Simon Norton, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Hello people

I've sourced a 1098r I like the look of (hence the title) does anyone know the bike - Leicester area? and what should I be checking an R has E.G. code cards, certificates maybe?

2008 Ducati 1098R Very clean example For Sale (carandclassic.com)

Also which exhaust should it have as I see some have the Termi with a smaller looking profile and straighter and others have the larger system with the more curvy profile. Or am I right in thinking it came with a road legal system with a race system as well and this is the difference?

Smaller profile:
    [​IMG]

Larger profile:
    [​IMG]

As always thank you in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. First picture is the standard road system and cans I believe.

Second picture is full 70mm system and early straight (non slash cut) cans.
    70mm full system is an extra that didn’t come with the bike at delivery. Needs appropriate ‘race’ ecu.

The bike should have come with a set of Ti Akrapovic cans too. Not sure if there were headers that went with those.

Also
    Set of signed pics of 2008 1098R riders and a certificate thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. These termignoni were on my 1098 and it looked pretty tidy.
    Some pipes protrude a bit past the tail unit and don’t look quite right.
    And yes, it should have the DUCATI RACING ECU which is displayed on the dash LED during start up.
    Oh, and check it comes with the baffles, it'll help during MOT time.
    1098's are REALLY exciting! Enjoy!

upload_2023-12-28_14-29-0.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Unfortunately much of the historical information on here doesn’t seem to be searchable or I’m using the wrong key words. The standard exhaust is titanium, the original carbon end can (standard on the US version) was the “shot gun” long can. The slash cut, carbon 70mm end can is from the Ducati Performance catalogue. Should have a standard ECU and a “performance” ECU. You should also have an electronics module for the RACE mode. Oddly, the most ridiculously expensive rocking horse poo, is the miniature Dzus quarter turn fastener the secures the bump pad to the tail unit. In your picture, the front discs look correct, they have the ‘buttons’ for the traction control sensor. Service history is essential, any non standard parts should still have the originals and it should NEVER have had a quick shifter fitted. Easiest way to shit the gear box. IMO, any 1098R that has several 1000’s of miles on it, could well have been on track in its life, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. No problem with track time at all as long as it wasn't too friendly with the track.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Coming from that dealer I'd be checking and comparing prices. I've seen some truly pie in the sky figures on some of their adverts in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Had noticed on there classic bikes there more than enthusiastic asks . Their Bayliss is at ok money, not cheap but about average.

8. As soon as I see lock wiring on things like brake caliper bolts I just get seriously uncomfortable, especially when it’s a bike that could have been used in a race series. It’s probably just me but I don’t see why anyone with a legit purpose for owning this would do lockwiring, it’s not a look thing as it’s grim looking

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. It's a common problem/ fault on many forums , including the techie / computer forums that I regularly post on .
    It's often better to do the search on an external engine ( eg. DuckDuckGo ) especially if you search on a phrase
    instead of just a word or two .
    :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Noticed they had stuck blue lock wire on the calipers and replaced/drilled the bolts to allow this. But as mentioned before it will see track time with me as I like ride the bike to, as close as I can get, full potential.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would have been more encouraged if whoever did the wire locking, actually knew how to wire lock. My Apprentice Master would have been horrified, ffs, a straight line ? :joy: Andy

12. Ime most that have calipers and bolts lock wired, but not sump and oil cap, are factory-look road bikes

Another in the no-QS camp here.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Totally agree about bikes being used, recently saw a desmocidici with 1500 miles on it, been sat in a front room of someone's house , new owner came to ride it and it over heated , turns out head gasket gone and coolant ate away top of the crank case, £20000+ bill coming his way for a new engine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. And that’s why you steer clear of a used desmo unless it’s super cheap and/or you have pots and pots of cash. Like a Ferrari

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I read cookster's post to mean that it's better that they are ridden. I know my bikes all feel a bit off if left over winter. Takes a few runs to get them feeling correct, maybe the fuel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sure He did. But the desmo is another league of cost. Rebuilding an R is expensive enough but….!

And I’m in the camp that using more and as intended is better than not much and/or not as intended. Like riding a big V2 and using all low end grunt in high gears that then destroys big expensive bits

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information