1198 head lights

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by lewygoosy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. After purchasing an 1198s a few weeks ago, rode it for the first time in the dark and found out how bad the lights are!!
    Has anyone upgraded these and could recommend any. Many thanks :)

2. A few people, including me, have installed HIDs on the 10/1198/848

Not a particularly difficult job, but isn't strictly legal. I've probably got photographs of the install somewhere if you want to go down that road

John

3. Oh and there are modules available for HIDs/Angel Eyes and both headlights on. But that is not a cheap option

Post up if you want more details

John

4. Yeh noticed that too,was out with my mate on a panagale the other night,it was like I had bloody candles in 1198,they are rubbish,might head down the HID road,but don't plan doing much night riding

5. Old jock,

what hid manufacture did you use? I've had a little look online and there are loads and with different power out puts. I've also read some have melted and caused damage to the light case have you experienced any of this? If you could find the pictures of install that would be grate :)

6. Hi Lewgoosy

I put in a kit from DDM tuning, they stopped selling to the UK after that know idea why. Haven't checked recently to see if they have changed again or not, there are plenty of equivalents.

I have not had any problems with heat with my kit and its the full buhna, 55W jobbos. Colour temp on mine is 6K, the choice is yours of course but I wouldn't go any higher colour temp than 6K on 55W bulbs and 5K on 35W. The higher wattage washes out the colour more. I think 4.3K is around daylight, mine have a touch of blue in them but not hugely.

Here's a link of the lights going on but just a quick video hastily shot in daylight, so not that helpful. I don't have any night shots but they are pretty awesome especially compared to the candles Ducati installed

Ducati 1098 HID Headlights - YouTube

Here are a couple of photos of the install

DDM-HID-Install-4.jpg

DDM-HID-Install-1.jpg

The transformers are held onto the top of the bulb cases with dual lock. You could easily find somewhere neater to mount them

Hope that helps

John

DDM-HID-Install-4.jpg

DDM-HID-Install-1.jpg

7. Cheers mate shall have a go and let you know how I get on, thanks for help :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information