1198 1198 Tank Expansion

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. If an 1198 tank is making contact with the steering damper frame mounting, is the tank blown and knackered?

2. Yes...best bet is to find a tank from 2012 or after because those were actually made smaller so even with expansion the tank wont touch the damper mount. I actually upgraded to a aluminum tank from the SP model so have a tank for sale perhaps. ;)

3. I thought 2011 was the last year for the 1198? I have seen an aftermarket adjustable rear tank mount, that supposedly gives some rearward adjustment?

4. Don't throw it away as i've heard that removal off the said tank for a year without fuel,it then will return to the original shape,so maybe ok longterm for reinstallation.

5. Get a beater tank next from Japan.

6. Sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to 2012 848 but the tanks are the same. I actually have the adjustable rear tank mount but in my opinion it doesn't allow enough rearward adjustment if your tank is already hitting the damper mount.

7. I've read sticking the tank in the airing cupboard for a month shrinks it. Might be an old wives tale though.

8. Ah right. Not actually my bike, one I was going to look at. Doubt, he'll knock off £2k for a new tank though.

9. Let me rephrase this...the adjustment maybe enough, just depends on how mashed up against the damper mount the tank is. I bought mine from Motowheels for about $100 so it could be worth it to try. Any way, it could be worth the upgrade just to replace the flimsy OEM bracket.

10. You can find tanks on ebay for $100-$200. Just make sure you get one from 2012 or later. Of course you have paint it.

11. The lesson here is,don't spend time in the airing cupboard or you won't be invited back for seconds.;)

12. The fact it's touching the steering damper bracket doesn't mean it's knackered. You can carry in using it just fine. It's not going to explode or anything. My tank touches the bracket on my 2012 bike. The previous owner used to store it full of fuel over winter. Probably the worse thing you could do. I always store my bike's without fuel in the tank or carbs.

13. It's not knackered, most 848/1098/1198 tanks ive seen at race meets/ ridouts are fag paper close to the mount ,they tend to expand when warm and shrink back overnight when cold.IMO....mines the same.

14. The plastic tanks swell when they absorb water. Storing them warm and dry with the cap off (In a well ventilated place) allows the water to come back out of the plastic, with partial recovery of original size.

Ethanol in petrol is often blamed for making the problem worse as it likes to grab water out of the air, which separates out as a layer of water at the bottom of the tank.

Keeping the tank full of ethanol free petrol is a good way of keeping water out of the plastic.
    That means Esso Super in most of the UK, but not sure that helps in the US of A?

15. With sellers expecting £8-9k for a decent 1198, I'm walking away if the tank is touching the damper mount. Would Ducati have replaced all the Yankee tanks if there wasn't an issue? I'm wondering
    if a few more quid on a 1299 would be less risky...

16. All depends if a Pani floats yer boat....

17. Never ridden any Ducati TBH.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I don't believe it was a full recall. If an owner brought their bike into the dealership and showed there was evidence of tank expansion Ducati would replace it. I think the best bet is to pick up a used tank from an 2012 848 on eBay and get it painted to match. Since it's physically smaller it won't have the issue with hitting the frame, though it will still expand. The tank on my 2012 848 Evo looks fine and there is plenty of space between it and the frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information