1260 Multi, Start/kill Switch Back-light Permenantly On...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bumpkin, Jun 26, 2024.

1. I'm currently on the European Multistrada Meeting in Carros, just north of Nice. Pulled into the car park after today's ride, parked the bike and locked it using button and it seemed to switch itself back on on again? Then, later, it wouldn't power up with the key present. It then tried to activate the steering lock without pressing the on/off button.

Checked fob battery with multimeter and that's 3.2v, was replaced a couple of weeks ago as a pre trip precaution.

With the help of @Twin4me of this parish we had a further look this evening. It'll start using the emergency button and PIN code. Tellingly it would boot up without a PIN if the key was near and require one if it wasn't. Seems to indicate that the key is actually being recognised.

Occurred to me once I got back to my room that the key might have got wet in my pocket during the persistent rain in the last ten minutes of riding. Used the hotel room hair dryer and then returned to the car park. Bike now switches on OK but, as before, the right switchgear back-light is permenantly on irrespective of whether the ignition is on or off.

Any ideas?

2. Thought we had fixed this yesterday morning, using a cable tie tip to open up a gap on the start button and dosing with WD40, only for it to reoccurr in the worst possible location; top of a single track pass, recently top dressed, no phone signal. Thankfully with the help of those I was riding with we resorted to bump starting on a part without too much kitty litter. Got back to the hotel whilst a couple of the guys; @Twin4me, and Pete (not sure if you're on here) went to Ducati Nice to see if they could offer immediate help. @TonyMNo1 helped get the bike started so I could get there too once they agreed to have a look. A serious hats off to my riding buddies for all their help.

Ducati Nice deserve my gratitude too. They concured with our disanisis on the RH switch cluster after through checks to eliminate any issues with the loom leading to it. The prospect of a 2 day wait for the part and derailment of my onward plans wasn't appealing. To their credit and TBH unexpectedly they took one off a bike in the workshop and sold me that one. At least an hour of labour plus a £120 part cost me €168 (£142). Restored my confidence for the trip home and saved many times that cost in too late to cancel hotels, extra nights stuck here on my own, night ferry home etc. No hesitation in a big tip to the tech and service manager. Plus buying beers back at the hotel later for my patient helpers.

IMG-20240626-WA0025.jpg IMG-20240626-WA0022.jpg IMG-20240626-WA0027.jpg 20240626_223848.jpg

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information