1980’s Rd350lc - Am I Being Silly?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Skyman, Jul 21, 2024.

1. Would this be a bad idea? Am I being a victim of rose-tinted spectacles? I had been set on a 698 Mono, but nostalgia is still getting the best of me. I am a biker-child of the early 80’s - I had a Honda VF400 and then a 500, however the two strokes which my mates rode always appealed but I never made that step.
    https://www.uniquewheels.com/vehicle/yamaha-rd350-...

2. Great bikes, quite expensive to buy a good one, and certainly not stupid at all imo

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I bloody love an Elsie. But. Very underwhelming nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. That is a salty price. If you are getting one to ride there are much more suitable ones.
    Also I would be careful about prices softening.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. How so?

6. Because the bike isn’t as good as you remember. You are paying handsomely for nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that so long as you like them. I would buy another one but eyes wide open. And, with that one, wallet too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I’d buy one but not even at half what most ask now.

8. Not silly your money.

That is at the very top of the price range, if you want to ride it I’d be at a more reasonable 5-7.5k. If you want an ornament/investment it seems that the market is softening, maybe possibly not the best time to be paying that much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I say spend the kids inheritance.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Should you be interested in this one ask where it was imported from,
    it looks to have the correct steering lock which is built into the underside of the ignition, German imports and others had the key lock/barrel welded to the side of the headstock and not the ignition, myself and many other's cut that off and welded up the hole, the seat base looks Giuliari with an aftermarket cover, the originals had Yamaha lettering embossed on the back and as mentioned bit pricey and not a UK matching numbers bike.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Many thanks for the responses. Much to think about for a newbie in the field.

12. Done that already. Each is happy in their own home, so job done there. My time now.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Also check if the rear wheel is off the ground when on the centre stand as they wear, easily sorted by just welding a small tab on the top of the stand on both sides,

14. Lots saying that expensive but I’m going full hog to say that’s way overpriced . £12k ?
    Sure it’s a good bike but that’s more than the market suggests and just a dealer cashing in.
    You could buy as good for cheaper.
    And no it won’t feel as good as you think it will.

15. Didn’t look at the bike. Imho 6k is twice what any Elsie is worth

16. I have an RD250LC which I have had since new. It is now classed as an historic vehicle so it's Insurance only. I have rebuilt it a few times over its lifetime but that last full detailed rebuild cost over £3,000 to complete, but that was to the original standard with correct colouring for all bolts etc. The only non-standard parts are the exhausts which are either very expensive to buy or very difficult to find in good condition.

Great little bike to ride around though and mine has only done 13,000 miles from new.

RC LC Crazy is the forum to visit for parts and advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Being self-reflecting shows you have the right approach, a lovely spectrum of thoughts on here, just ask yourself what you want from the bike in order of priority. If the looks and the sound are high up then you are safe but if it's how it rides and handles from the impressions you got back then, then take your time to decide and even ride one if at all possible. Lots of happy owners on here, (link below) and you could hopefully catch them at a meet or bike venue near you, they make a show at Boxhill in Surrey at least once a year.

https://www.vjmc.com/

18. I get it. I love the 350 LC and the RD 400’s. Same story, drooled over them early 80’s. Loved the LC in black too. That looks gorgeous.

I do smile when I see a bunch of old gits on scooters too… I get it :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Many thanks to all of you for the thoughtful and informative responses. I think I have some reflecting to do whilst out on this morning’s dog walk. I very much like the idea of talking with current owners, and perhaps even managing to blag a test ride.

20. As I mentioned go to the forum and ask questions as you will get a polite reply.

I did this when rebuilding my bike and they were very helpful and you don’t have to deal with keyboard warriors.

my LC as I was rebuilding it, note modified front disc, a big improvement using an R1 caliper

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0859.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information