749 1st Gear Issue

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Tmac88, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Hey Guys,

Just recently bought a 2005 749, this is my second attempt into the 749 as my first one was a lemon!

Anyway, loving it but have a couple of niggles to sort out. It has just over 9000 miles and had a belt service 2 years ago so I will get a major service on it soon. It has a hesitation at about 5000rpm in all gears, perfectly fine below and above but read somewhere that it is likely the valves needing adjusted which will get looked at during the service.

The other issue is when in 1st gear. It feels fine and runs normally but I occasionally hear a clunking sound, as if it's not in gear properly and sometimes lurches a bit. It is very disconcerting when going low speed around a roundabout. Any ideas what this could be?

2. Have you checked chain tension for the 2nd issue?

• Like Like x 2
  3. No that's something I've not checked actually. Thanks will check that out first!

4. Checked my chain tension as per the manual, should be 32-37mm and I was getting about 33mm. So in spec but at the tight end. Would it be worth slackening it off a bit?

5. interested to know others points of view on this, I've always felt that Ducatis chain spec is ever so slightly on the tight side, I definitely run all mine at the loose end of the spec or even slightly over.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information