1st Retired Ride Out

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andy Bee, Apr 8, 2024.

1. I received my P45 on the 28th of March and have been officially retired since the 1st of April.

The V-Raptor was used at least a couple of days a week on a 50 mile round trip commute but what with one thing & another I hadn't used him for 3 or 4 weeks. Today was dry enough to take him out for the first retired blatt of freedom - and what a jolly time was had.

Although after been out of the saddle even for that short amount of time it did take a little while to recalibrate the head around the speed of it all.

So if you're planning on firing the bike up for the first hoon of the season go steady for a mile or two & try not to let excitement & enthusiasm get the better of you (much).

• Like Like x 6
  2. I've been retired for 2 years now best thing I ever did after 51 years of working
    Everyday is mine still getting my head round that
    Biggest decision is which bike to ride never had all three running at once

3. Good advice; moreover the roads are so bad these days that it pays to reconnoitre one's usual riding routes on the first spring outings before going for it. You never know how many potholes now lurk at the apex of your favourite bends.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm heading that way soon. Still waiting on my medical to be reinstated after open heart and spinal surgery to return to work, but after 27 years in the industry, I am not sure how much longer I want to continue, 5am starts and working in a hostile and often unforgiving environment, begin to lose their appeal after so many years. Still very much love the job but its a young man's game these days and whilst I can still cut it, so to speak, I wonder if I will still have that hunger 6 years from now, which is when I will be forced to hang up my headset one last time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I sold my business a few years ago and had to work for the other company for three years. After 25 years of running my own businesses it was hell. I was really glad to get out with my health and cash intact. A year later along came Covid and I was even happier not to be involved.

It took a while to adjust and I do occasionally miss some aspects of the job (live event production). But I don’t miss the commute, the pressure of running the business and making sure I could afford the wages.

I did my IAM training and test, I volunteer one day a week and play basketball twice a week. Today I went out and did 100 miles on the bike just to keep my hand in (and try a new seat cushion on the Multistrada).

I had a thought about starting a MC group called the Dogs, (disreputable old gits)!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Would there be a test of the credentials for 'disreputable'?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bloody hell sounds like you are a mercenary or something :eek:

8. I retired in 2021 and moved to Spain, best thing I ever did (should have done it years ago;-) don't know how ever found time to go to work, that Husky 450 won't ride itself you know...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Not retired yet but have cut down working hours with a view to finishing in three years.
    I still enjoy ‘some’ aspects of my job but hate commuting with a vengeance.
    I really struggle to see where the World is heading. There is no long term planning anymore. Everything is about today and tomorrow with no regard to next week or next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information