2013 Northern meeting ?

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by Nik the greek, Dec 3, 2012.

1. These dark frosty winter days are starting to get me down, so I have decided that I need to get some stuff sorted to look forward too next year !

A while ago on a thread about a national meeting that appeared to get a bit out of hand that maybe a more local meet would be a good idea, and I had found a nice looking spot in North Yorkshire at Tan Hill pub : 1732 Motorbike Club - Clubs, Rallies, Motorbikes - Tan Hill - Tan Hill Inn - Arkengarthdale - Swaledale - Yorkshire Dales National Park - North Yorkshire.

Now before anyone "chucks teddy out of thre cot" this is not intended to force a a north south divide , I just dont see a national meeting working due to sheer numbers.

Location and dates are not by no means fixed in stone, but wanted to gauge peoples thoughts, to see if it was worth while me putting in some effort to try arrange something ?

Over to You !

#1 Nik the greek, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Been up there on a very wet and windy day, very good food ! I am in Lincolnshire so should be up for this, good luck with organising and keep us all informed, cheers.

3. Depending on dates etc I'm up for it Nik :upyeah:

4. If it were in the middle of a bank holiday I'd take a day or two to ride up and back from Somerset.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'm probably considered as a southerner, but if the dates were right then we'd be looking to ride up and join in!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would be up for this!

7. #7 Chris916multi, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. Squires is my local meet, good place to meet but nothing much around it to enjoy a ride out

9. Oh I don't know.........good roads going further north to Helmsley and up to Stokesley :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Squires' is a shit hole. Crap, expensive food and drink, beset by knuckle scrapers and bull shitters of the worst kind. That's only the unmarked coppers too. Takes ages to get anywhere decent for a ride too.

How about Manor Cafe at Bellerby? Or Penny Garth in Hawes? Or Devil's Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale? All better situated with decent people and food.

11. I'm another one from Lincolnshire who is up for a ride to somewhere with hills.
    Agree with supervee about squires, been once and never again.

12. I agree, Squires is not the best o places and it attracts all the power rangers, and has all of the issues mentioned before.

El Tel, Helmsley etc is a good area for roads, but it must be a good 50mins ride up their from squires.

North Yorkshire and Northumbria have some of the best roads in the UK, i have done similar things like i am suggesting with the Triumph forum, and they have been really good.

being based somewhere that offers different types of accomodation, food and beer, along with easy access to great biking roads has been a sucessful combination for a number of forum meets over in triumph land, and i think we could do the same.

As a typical example, people meet on the 1st night allowing those travelling from a far plenty of time to get there and settled in, ride out on second day, followed by food & beers on second day, they make your way home on third, if this was on a bank holiday weekend it would allow those from Down south to travel up on a saturday, last triumph meet in North Yorkshire attracted guys from Poole, london, Ireland & Birmingham.

I need to email some places to see where is avaliable.

13. you said you didn't want to meet the suvverners - too much hassle or summat......?

14. That's the big spoon award gone !

Any one is welcome, but you will have to arrange your own visa's !

• Like Like x 1
  15. There's a campsite at Olivers Mount. Meetings are;

21/4, Spring Cup.
    15-16/6, Barry Sheene Memorial races.
    20-21/7 Cock of the North races.

www.auto66.com

16. This is a big national forum and a heck of a lot of the members are midlands to south. If you want to organise a big meet up North you might be better talking about this on Ducati Up Noth (DuN) site.
    Why not try Hunstanton or Cromer and give the Southeners and Midlanders a chance. There are some good roads down through Lincolnshire

17. SHHHH!!
    You are supposed to tell them its all flat and boring in Lincs then we can keep it to ourselves!

18. First of all I am aware that this is a national forum, as I put in the first post, along with my thoughts that one national meet would be far too big and complicated to arrange, unless you are planning on starting a thread to arrange ?

Secondly I am not a member of DUN as I never liked before and still not bothered now.

As has already been posted people are prepared to travel, it's part of the fun of having a bike in the first place, and I have enjoyed similar events on other forums discovering other places with the assistance of locals who know the area, and if others suggested something similar then I would be up for it.

If its not your cup of tea, then that's fine

• Like Like x 1
  19. I live in north Notts, there are some awesome roads notts through to lincolnshire, theres a biker rest stop called willingham woods not far from cadwellpark, the roads round there are excellent, i can spend all day doing that run, infact we have a 24 villages run again a great mixture of roads calling in at a pub for a swift half.

20. Willingham woods has been a regular wed night venue for some time, but the comments for Sherburn still apply, has its share of village idiots who spoil it for everyone

Do Not Sell My Personal Information