2nd Bike… Questions..

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Monsterped, May 4, 2024.

1. Ok so I absolutely love my 1200R Monster, had it since new in 2016 and it’s a keeper and my ocd has kept it pretty much mint. I rarely ride it if the weather looks iffy… which brings me to the point. Biking has been my escape from stressful things over the years, the last 18 months has been very tough at times and not much time to balance it with a spin out often enough. I’m now mid divorce (amicable) and need a multi-weather distraction or at least a bike I’m not so bloody precious over!!

An early Multi 1200 is in the mix but not looking to spend a fortune so looking at the orange end of the bike world, either a 990 Superduke or a 950 SM and possibly Aprllia Dorsoduos.

anyone on here had any of these? Anything to know or watch for?

also, any other suggestions?

ta
    Ped

2. I've owned both the 990 SD and 950 SM, both great, fun bikes.

SM is still in my top 3 bikes of all the bikes I've owned, but ethanol fuel and the affect it has on the plastic tank would stop me from owning another. Once the tank graphics start to bubble (which are applied directly to the tank ) there's no stopping the bubbling. A new set of graphics soon turn the same way sadly.

SD in standard form suffers a little with fueling, surging at steady lower speed throttle opening , but I doubt there's many that have not had fueling tweaks by now. Short, taut chassis with more than enough power for the road . Gen 2 got a slightly larger petrol tank and better looking clocks /cockpit IMO.

What sort of budget are you looking to spend ?

I have an MT09 for sale thats similar to SD money and fits in the not shiney and could be used no matter what the weather.

3. Thanks Scuff

not really sure what I want to spend, don’t want to go mad as need to buy a house once current residence is sold due to the divorce. I’d be happy to take on a bit of a project tbh, it’d keep me busy.

4. So trawling Facebook Marketplace over the last week or two threw up some options in the orange camp and yesterday a gen 2 SD appeared nor too far from me at reasonable money so thought I’d shoot over on the Monster for a look (excuse to have a decent 150+ mile ride really!) not really intending to buy but for its age it was pretty bloody clean and tidy, good history and fitted with some nice shiny bits including some slightly obnoxiously loud Akra cans which pop and bang on the over run, very grin inducing!! A quick road test confirmed the grin! Hopefully pick it up in the next day or two.
    IMG_4853.jpeg IMG_4852.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Bugger… spanner in the works… HPI check has shown an issue on a finance agreement, seller trying to sort it but no collection until clear!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. All sorted and now tucked up next to the 1200R, out in the morning for a spin!

• Like Like x 6
  7. I too have a mint monster. Owned since new, 2012 1100 evo and yes, I'm precious over it.

I have an hyper 939 as a second bike. I always use the hyper for trips like the TT and the manx etc.

But, i can't say I not precious over my hyper neither, i like it looking mint, it's just the way i am.

Maybe i should have a third..... NO

I'm just the same with pushbikes.... I like em all looking their best and I've got 7 of those

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah I’m sure the ocd will kick in on the SD, already spotted a few things that “offend my eye” and need tidying!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Offend my eye :D:D

That's me too

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Enjoy :cool:

You'll have to let us know how it compares to the monster :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. First impressions are very good, it feels light and flickable, well planted and quicker than I expected, it’s a bit of a giggle really!!

#11 Monsterped, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Well I did about 110 miles on the SD today, mix of A and B roads around Wiltshire and Hampshire and I’m well chuffed with my addition to the stable. I’m pleasantly surprised at how capable the SD is given it’s a 12 year old bike. I’m spoiled with ohlins on the monster but the WP on the SD is really rather good, compliant with decent feedback - it’s running Pilot Sports which I like anyway. I think it turns in a little quicker than the monster and needs a little more effort to hold the line but nothing to worry about. I mentally compared it to a Hypermotard I borrowed from Rapido a couple of years ago - gotta say I think the SD is a better bike even though the hyper was much newer, it’s more engaging to ride I think.

The motor lacks the all out grunt of the 12R but it’s eager and spins up nicely and seems quite linear in the delivery, plenty of giddy up for brisk progress and quick over takes. No idea on fuel consumption! The Akra’s sound pretty epic if not a little loud!

Gave it a really good look over when I got home (and got shot of some stickers offending my eye lol) and it needs a good detailing session to spruce up all the nooks and crannies but outwardly it looks great. It has been dropped but nothing serious! Nothing I can’t sort over a wet weekend.

Downsides - it has some lovely looking Rizoma mirrors that are really good for looking at my arms (and I’m a skinny ish bloke) so they’ll get replaced with bar end mirrors as per the monster. There is some corrosion on fasteners as you’d expect at this age, again nothing I can’t sort. It’s quite staggering how KTM have managed to use so many different size and types of fasteners! Allen bolts, Torx, you name it, they’ve used it.

Overall, I’m suitably chuffed, always good when a purchase exceeds expectations!

• Like Like x 3
  13. I hope you got rid of those alpinestars stickers.... They were offending my eye :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yeah, all superfluous stickers gone!

• Like Like x 2
  15. So 3-400 miles in over the last week and the SD is a bloody hoot, it’s properly silly and a cracking bike for A road scratching, it’s even comfortable! @MotoNik had a quick spin on it yesterday and came back grinning like an idiot and muttering how he needed a KTM now! It’s not without its faults ( I think fork seals and bushings will need doing soon, no surprise on a KTM…) and the fuel tank looks like it’s swollen from ethanol. Gave it a good clean today and it scrubbed up pretty well, but it’s gonna need a bucket of stainless bolts to replace all the furry oem bolts.
    Verdict? Bloody marvellous, best £4K I’ve spent on a bike!
    IMG_4896.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Mmmm….. monkey mechanic at work, found this putting it away after a 200+ mile day, was beginning to “machine” the swing arm. Sprocket drive pin had unthreaded so pulled it out, all five were less than tight. All thread locked now.
    IMG_5026.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Well spotted :upyeah:

Seen a few damaged swingarms from the same thing , some beyond repair.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information