3g Switch Off

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chrisw, Mar 24, 2023.

1. If you have a Sim based tracker then you may need to switch service provider.
    The cheap self fit trackers are either 2G or 3G based. If you are not on O2 or linked service provider (eg GiffGaff) then it would be prudent to switch to one. Of the 4 network providers, EE are certainly switching 3G off in early 2024. It looks like O2 will keep 3G going until 2033 as they are the carrier for 2G based Smart Meters. The other 2 (Vodafone and 3) are sure to follow EE’s switch off.

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/networks-using-o2/

Alternatively, switch to a 4G based tracker. They are available on the likes of eBay.

#1 chrisw, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vodafone are starting the switch off, 2 towns so far, can’t say which so don’t ask me! They currently pay my bills

3. O2 are to begin switching off 3G beginning in 2025

4. 100%. I wondered why my gates stopped working (sim based). Had to buy a new 4G module. Nothing £840 couldn’t fix… :tired_face:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Some of us still don’t have 4G so will be reliant on WiFi

6. They aren’t switching off 3G in areas where there isn’t suitable 4G/5G coverage, so you should be okay.

7. 3G switch off?
    We are lucky if we get intermittent 3G at all and every call ends with HELLO!:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information