748s Showa Fork Torque Setting???

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by ScottyM, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Just in the middle of giving my forks an oil seal and bush refresh. Would anyone know the torque setting for the lock nut on the end of damper rod that attaches the preload adjuster?? I think it’s 24Nm, the guy off the You Tube channel ‘Desmowerxs’ mentioned it when he done his ST2 forks, but 748 Showas are different in the amount of adjustment they have so not sure if it would be the same…???
    Thanks.

2. Sorry! Not preload, Rebound!!:joy:

3. Scott, factory manual says 30-40Nm (if you mean the adjusting screw 34920101A with seal/washer that sits in the fork bottom above the the axle clamp)

4. Hi Denzil. Thanks for replying, no it’s the top of leg. The end of the damper rod connects onto the rebound adjuster and is held by a lock nut, it’s the setting for the lock nut I’m after, rebound adjuster then screws onto top cap. I think it’s 24Nm which would seem to fit as it’s smaller than the top cap which is 35Nm. Looked everywhere, Haynes, your post of torque settings, online search of Showa.. Can you remember me asking you to check how much your axle was sticking out in a previous post?? Turns out left fork leg was bent slightly and pushing everything over slightly!

5. It’s the nut in pic that locks onto rebound adjuster. image.jpg

6. Hi Scott, see attached which may help, suggest that is also 30-40Nm. The setting given is the torque setting when tightening the cap whilst holding that nut, then there is a second setting for that assembly into the slider which is also 30-40Nm.

Glad you found the issue with the alignment of the axle

Attached Files:

7. Had a look at that Denzil,thanks. The 30-40 setting is when holding the rebound adjuster, not the nut which locks onto it. Think I’m just gonna go with what Desmowerxs said in his video, seems about right for the size of thread(M10). Plus that nut, being a long nut, only has about 5mm of fine thread aswell.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information