749 S 1995 / A few questions please

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by dudz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I have had a 996 around 10 ish years ago, and sold along with the house to move to France. The way the locals drive cars here really put me off riding on the roads for a while, but now I'm used to it, I'm ready to buy another Duke. Just been riding trials bikes in the forests, and a XR650R supermoto on the roads for the last year.

I'm looking at a 749 S with FSH and very clean. 2005 although it has the grey frame. I am told its just got to 50,000kms and had a big service. Owner is a Pilot and doesn't have time to ride it now. Bear in mind most 2005 cars and vans here have 160,000kms plus

There is a HP restriction in Europe I'm sure you are aware. But what have they actually done to limit it ? Is it just a case of re-mapping and taking a croissant out of the header pipes ??
    I know the 749's are higher revving than the 996, but do they have the same lovely low grunt ?...... the sound on my PC is crap, so I cant tell.
    The 996 was a great bike, but killed the hell out of my wrists on short journeys through windy roads, is the 749 any more forgiving ?
    I plan to ride it once or twice per month probably 50 or so mile journeys and in the summer hols, I want to go 400 miles plus. Am I going to be stopping for CPR every 100 miles ? I am 44yrs old. Fit and healthy (I think). My personal comfort speed around nice A roads is 60mph. Opening it up occasionally. Don't care for going more than 120MPH nowadays. But I do like getting there very quickly :upyeah:

Last thing... Number plates....eeeekkk. Horribly massive. Apart from the law (whatever) does someone make a very discreet plate holder, so it can be swallowed up somewhere under the seat ?

2. I did 1000 miles in 2 days on 999 no prob. was 57 then, 6' and unfit. Got slightly higher bars fitted but same can be achieved by swapping bars around. 5 position footrests are good for getting comfortable for long rides.
    Don't know about motor, haven't ridden 996 or 749, but should be ample for what you do .
    Tail tidy ebay £30ish but is only higher not further in.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information