749r carbon fairings not fitting

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by SunnyR, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Guys, need your help.
    i removed both fairings off the bike to give it clean but now I can't fit them back correctly:frown:. Have got all the bolts in, 4 on each side, but when I try and fit the two that connect both fairings together underneath the bike, they don't align up. In fact, one of the fairings is slightly further in the direction of the front tyre than the other. I even removed the rad guard to see if that would help as one fairing has to be forced over it to get the holes at the bottom as close as possible but made no difference.
    I had 999R before this bike and never had any issues.

HELP!!!!

2. Has the nipple by the headlight popped back in?

3. Only thing I can think of would be the rear fixing located down on engine case . The fastener goes into a square base plate ( like a std dzus fastener) has this moved around to the back of this mounting towards rear wheel

4. Hi Tom,
    Yes, all other parts if fairing are in, the nipple by the headlight, the bolt above it, the two bolts that connect fairing to frame and the ones right at the rear of the fairings. I just don't get why the 2 at the bottom just don't align up. It's driving me nuts.

5. Hi Peter,
    The fittings you refer too, on my bike they both appear to fitting from the direction of the rear tyre to the front of bike. Should they be fitting turned round so they fit bottom to top if bike?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Here is the correct angle of my left hand bracket.

Check it against yours?

[​IMG]

7. Hi Tom,
    apologies but the pic is not clear, is the fitting fitted from the top?

8. I don't understand your question but I will try and explain as best I can. I'm sorry the picture is poor, I had to use my tablet to take it.

The metal plate which the fastener fixes to is placed so that out is attached to the engine block with 2 fasteners and then travels towards the rear tyre and down towards the ground. It is lower towards the tyre and higher at the engine.

If you can see both fixings, mark on the floor where the hole is on each side and see if they line up.

9. Sunny, Is that you that used to have a yellow 749? If so we have met :)
    This should be simple matey
    I have carbon 999r fairings, I first position the fairing in place, then secure with the dzeus fastners on each side (2 No. on each side of the frame) Then locate the lugs at the front into the rubber grommit beneath the headlight stay. This always requires a bit of a push but will always seat nicely.
    Then I go for the fixing at the front of the underside of the fairings. Of course make sure you have the correct over lap and affix the bolts into the rubber grommits
    I then secure the 2 fixings at the back of the fairings lastly

I canot see how things wouldnt line up if you follow this??

Good luck mate

Matt

10. Hi Tom and Peter,
    I owe you guys both a drink you guys were bang on. If you guys are anywhere near Beaconsfield let me know.

Hi Matty,
    Hope you well, yes I think we have met before.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

11. I lived in Beaconsfield for 2 years up until last autumn. I love that town! Some great running routes and some great riding routes too.

The road to Aylesbury is one of my favourites when it's quiet!

12. Yep you owe us big time , I'm in Guernsey ,expect the check in the post. :biggrin: :upyeah:

13. Tom,
    You still near by?

Peter,
    We have a very nice hotel near by (Crazy Bear) if you fancy flying over for couple :)

14. Not any more I'm afraid. I worked in Wilton Park for a while but have now moved to pastures new :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information