848 evo?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Kirky, May 28, 2013.

1. My Multistrada has a couple of engine issues and will be a guest of my dealer for a few weeks :mad: As I have a trip booked up to Portugal, I need to find a Ducati within the next week!

All I can rent at the moment is an 848 EVO and I'm told it's pretty unsuitable for a long trip, very hard suspension, uncomfortable on wrists, no luggage available, blah, blah.

I changed from a 996 to the Multistrada as it used to kill my neck, shoulders and wrists on long trips so do you think it's the wrong bike?

Welcome advice especially from those that have tried this bike out.

2. I have a 848 Evo Corse and have done 200-250 miles in a single session (apart from fuel stops) before now, and not had a problem from a comfort pov.

3. Have an 848 evo too, if I haven't ridden for a while it does get me a little in the shoulders and wrists, but generally I find it pretty good. Wracked up quite a few trips last year of hundreds of miles and found it ok.

*edit* The luggage thing might be an issue though if you are taking a bit with you. Got some kreiga packs for mine which are pretty good, getting on and off is a bit of an arse though!

#3 Matt DWrecker, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  4. I reckon the 848 is as capable a tourer as any other sportsbike. It's not all that uncomfortable but my hands sometimes go to sleep with the vibrations at steady speeds, which is a pain. I did a fair few miles to the NW200 and back and do 150 motorway miles in one hit (no fuel stops either, but mine has the larger tank) fairly often with absolutely no problem. I did 13 hour days back to back on my last bike (GSXR 750) and reckon I could do the same on the 848 if I had to.

Luggage ability is admitedly pretty crap though. Tailpacks and throwovers are out unless you use Kriega stuff that mounts to the pillion pad and sits up high. Tank bags will work though and a large backpack. I know I could do a Euro tour on mine if I wanted to though so can't see why it would be an issue going down to Portugal - sounds like fun!

:smile:

5. I think it's quite comfy for a sports bike I'm over 6 ft and usually find sports bikes make my knees and legs ache but the 848 is fine compared to the gsxr I had, the only problem I get is slight neck ache but only a slight problem. It's not gonna your like your multistrada but it ain't bad comfort wise for a sports bike

6. Hey. I've come from an 'upright' bike to the 848 evo and posted here about wrist ache. Yes it was bloody uncomfortable at first but after day 4 it got easier. On day 5 or 6 I did a really long run for several hours and is now a non issue. Depends how supple you are i guess. The seat is surprisingly comfy and when up to speed the bike feels a good place to be.

If I was going on a trip I'd take my other bike, but if I had to I could ride the 848. Your issue will be the first few days while your wrists get used to it.

7. Thanks for the comments Guys, it makes me feel more comfortable going for it. Shame that the 1st day will be 400 miles and plenty of twisties to start with. I have had a neck operation (ACDF) just over a year ago but it doesn't give me issues on an MTB so hopefully OK and will have to do some work on the wrists.

I will have to post some comments back on the bike if I go that route.

8. Good luck with the trip kirky. I look forward to hearing how you got on.

9. real superbike touring simply involves your credit card, a packet of chewing gum and a modest rucksack..pants and socks can be washed in the sink of the gents that youre kipping in.

10. Why does George Michael come to mind. Toilets are an odd place to sleep in, unless it's a nightclub.

11. Sorry no 848 EVO feedback from me and I've cancelled the physio appointments. It would have been fun when I was down in Portugal on it though (but not the ride down!)

Ducati came good and I have a new MTS1200 GT to take as a loaner :biggrin:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information