916 916 Rear Disc Bolts

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Davyd, Feb 2, 2023.

1. So I’ve ordered new bolts to fix the rear disc to the axle on my 94 916. And I’m in a bit of dispute with the supplier. he sent me M6 and insists he’s correct.
    Can anyone tell me the correct size I’m assuming M8. I don’t think the size would have changed from the early bike. any help would be great to help clear this up.

2. Get the right specs here: https://www.carlsalter.com/

loads of info, relax, European bikes are M8 and M6 everywhere if M6 does not fit .must be M8 and vice - versa, Brakes are 99% M8

3. Mine are M8, don't know about all models but I'd be wary if only M6 given that there are only 4 bolts.

That said the brake's crap anyway so maybe not that much force going through it... :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. For proof they are M8 that you can send the supplier, most genuine Ducati workshop manuals have a list of Torque settings for all the bolts which also states their size.

Sorry, I don't have a 916 manual, but below is from the one for my 999:

Torque.JPG

5. Stein Dinse have them as M8 x 14:

torque 2.JPG

6. Also they are a shallow head as there's not much clearance between them and and the mounting plate.

7. Ducatimondo on ebay has them, eBay item number:153272775669

8. Thanks for all the reply’s guys. Much appreciated and confirmed they should be M8.
    Here’s the jist of the story. So I contacted the supplier initially looking for a seat bracket which he said he had,great I thought. So I asked if he had the original dome head bolts for fixing the rear disc to the axle. (I also included a pic of the bolts) as I wasn’t sure of their size and they are the early dome head type the later being flat head Allen type he confirmed he had them. Great I paid and the bits arrived only to find out the little bolts are to small. I contacted the guy and explained the problem. Now he’s telling me its what I ordered and that they are correct even posted me a pic of his bike with the bolt removed,even they look like M8.. I’ve exchanged a few emails trying to sort it out but he’s adamant they are correct. I’ve even asked him if he has the correct bolts that I’ll gladly take them and return the other ones. He’s called me a wise guy for some reason. and said he’s a supplier 25 years experience and that he knows what he’s talking about..
    jezz it’s so frustrating, rant over. Maybe I should just let PayPal deal with him. He’s probably reading this..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I do believe that the very early bikes did have M6 bolts but were soon changed to M8 for obvious reasons …… just sayin :thinkingface::upyeah:

10. Haha that would just piss me right off.

11. Are they not <£1 each? Seems like a lot of bother over the cost of a coffee and a biscuit.

12. Cost wasn’t the issue. As it turns out Duff miver was on the ball the early bikes did indeed have M6 mounting bolts but were soon changed to M8. I have emailed the seller and apologised for pissing him about. So all is good

• Like Like x 2
  13. Did you not take a look at your disc and mount to see what size they were?
    That would have confirmed the M6/M8 conundrum at source.

14. In the past I’ve just assumed something is right, like who’d guess they might have changed the disc bolt size at some point (and I’ve been caught out thinking like this just like the OP) so now I check everything before ordering. Easy mistake to make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. It would only have confirmed I had M8 bolts holding the disc in place which are wrong for the early bike. I’ve since got the correct axle with the M6 mounting holes.

16. Davy,
    I’ve been following this thread all along. Could this also explain why the rear carbon hugger I sent you didn’t fit your bike, when it was a perfect fit on my 1996 SP3? Different « rear end » type of thing? I’m still trying to figure that one out…
    G

17. Obviously I am not fully aware of the timings and intricate details of your issue however, if you have the early correct axle, you would have been able to determine the correct bolt thread required.

18. G.
    I don’t think it would make any difference. The early axle is the same bar the M6 bolts and the inner diameter is larger but overall it’s the same. So I’m also stumped.

19. I would if I had of had the early axle at the time but I didn’t hence the confusion

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information