996 Clutch Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Blakey, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Hi all. Time to replace the clutch on my 996. Slippage occurring now. I just wanted recommendations for replacement i.e. stick with standard, go aluminium (standard tooth basket and plates), 48 tooth aluminium basket and plates, barnett set up, I don't really want a slipper clutch though. If I stick with standard does the basket take to filing the ridges on the fingers down or should I just leave the basket as it is?
    Thanks in advance.....

2. By searching this forum for clutches most if not all your questions have been answered or a preference expressed. Beware as there are advocates for all solutions :). If the basket slots are heavily ridged, I'm afraid it's a new basket. From a personal point of view, I wouldn't discount a slipper, it does make a difference when you get enthusiastic with the down changes. Andy

3. 48 tooth basket...eliminates a lot of the wear and tear spreading the load.....obviously you need the plates to go with it..and i would go for a conventional 6 post slipper.......obviously set up correctly by someone who knows how to do it correctly.......oh and no grease, no oil, no extra plates bollox.....:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Surely buy Suzuki plates, change the order, cover them in grease and then cook them was what the original designers had in mind when designing the dry clutch?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Just go for an alloy basket and use alloy plates, that will be cheaper than a slipper.

6. i cant understand the logic of anyone with a big twin not having a slipper clutch.....

7. I replaced my 996 clutch last year after it decided to fall out the side of the engine due to the previous owner doing the main nut which holds it all in only finger tight.

I opted for some Barnet alloy clutch plates and a new alloy basket to match, same number of teeth as original. One advantage I found of this is that the alloy basket was 444g compared to 1098g of the OEM steel one and the alloy Barnett plates were 898g compared to 1444g of the OEM steel ones. So thats a combined saving of 2.65lb which isnt bad. On the road, this made a noticeable difference to the bike, made it seem to rev up a lot quicker, and the alloy rather than steel was a lot quieter through an open cover.

I got mine off ebay. £82 for basket & £108 for plates, so combined cost £190. At the time this was miles cheaper than a slipper clutch. I get on perfectly fine with this setup, but had I more cash at the time I might have gone for the slipper clutch approach.

8. Thats cheap for Barnett. Cheapest I found on ebay for Barnett was £175 for plates and £180 for basket or is your basket not Barnett. I have seen some of the other baskets for about £90 hows it holding up? Someone mentioned somewhere about them being Chinese copies of Ductai ones?

9. Yep the basket is not a Barnett one, just one of those gold alloy ones. To be fair it seems perfectly fine, nice and solid. Ive only done maybe 400 miles so far with it so early days, but have no complaints so far. I actually got a bargain with the Barnett clutch plates, someone had bought them for their bike and never used them. Their description wasnt the best so I think people wasnt sure which bike they were for, but I checked the part number in the photo so I knew they would fit. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information