996sps generator cover.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by goodwin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hi im richard and ive just registerd on this site.im restoring a 996sps registerd 2001.ive removed the generator cover for painting and have found swarf from the inside of the generator cover.it looks like the rotor has been rubbing on it and the flywheel nut looks to of been rubbing where the bearing sits.ive heard early models run a gasket and later bikes dont.this never had a gasket only jointing compound.can any body shed any light for me?....thanks richard.

2. The inside of the case looks like the rotor has been rubbing on the outer dia of the rotor/flywheel they look
    like that from new, but you still can get damage in that area if the flywheel nut has worked loose at some time.
    The area that has the outer support bearing should be a nice machine finish if this is not it could piont to
    the flywheel nut loose again.
    The case is just sealed with bond as you say earlier engines had a gasket.
    If you have swarf in the bottom of the case i would check for any lift/play in the crankshaft plus i would be looking at the
    complete set up from the crank out over, the sprag/starter clutch and its two gears as this set up takes a lot of
    punishment .
    Photo of the bits would help though.:)

brian.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cannot advise about the gasket but th models with the 2phase generator are renowned for the nut coming loose and the rotor coming off the crankshaft.
    if its not detected it can wreck the end of the crank and smash the cover

• Like Like x 1
  4. as above - the aftermath of a previous loose nut incident at a guess. It's a pretty common thing to happen and always worth checking when either side cases removed.

5. thanks for that info brian,ive checked the rotor nut and the rotor it self.maybe the nut had come loose before at some time in its life?..intresting that you said the covers look like they have rubbed from new because ive seen a couple on ebay that look the same!thanks again.

6. Had the nut come loose myself and luckily Ducati UK offered a goodwill gesture otherwise it was gonna be BIG bucks, in fact that's how I met John Hackett and JHP as they identified the issue and did the work.

I would be tempted to remove it throw some threadlock on and retighten while it apart

7. yep thats what im going to do.cheers.:smile:

8. I'd also be inclined to drop the oil an, filters and strainer to see what's in there. It is worth checking the Woodruff keyway in the crank.

Is the swarf ferrous or non-ferrous?

I would've thought that the oil had been changed since the flywheel in initially came loose. How long have you had the bike?

I guess from swarf, not flakes, it isn't rocker chrome flakes?

9. New Nuts......

You have to torque this thing up to a jesus who done this up high touque value and I'm pretty sure the manual states new nut and washer. For the few quid they cost its worth the insurance.

Also please lock the Flywheel to do this rather than use a clutch holding tool so you dont put all that torque through your crank pin.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  10. oil and filter brand new just gone on,bikes stripped completely on me ramp having a full refresh front to back.the swarf is alli from the generator cover where the outer bearing circlip sits,looks like the nut has come loose at some stage and machined it away.had this one for around a year.got a 916sps too,had that a couple of years now.allready stripped and rebuilt that one.cheers for the advise.:wink:

11. Look after those twin pick-up covers

12. cheers guys for all the help and advice.....new nut thread locked and torqued up with my new flywheel lock tool.and cover re painted and ready for re fitment.happy ducatist!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information