998 help

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Tommy B, Feb 6, 2014.

1. I've just purchased a very nice 998 that's had a horrific amount of money spent on it, however there's a few things that are confusing me regarding spec...

First of all it's running a 996r EPROM with a full titanium termi that measures 54mm - is this right?

Seems to have a vented crank/clutch case (black?) plus the obligatory open cover...I can see the pressure plates are DP (2 anodised plates ether side of the springs - how can I tell if it's a slipper item?

When turning the motor over it seems to have a huge amount of compression/starts very fast in comparison to other 996/916's I've had before - is there any easy way of visually distinguishing between the 996r, 998 & 998s deep sump engines (what would I be looking for? I plan to get on a rolling road soon as I can.

In regard to the fully floating cast iron disks...how much free play should they have (I understand they are meant to rattle and move a fare bit, just unsure how much)

Also I have a feeling it my have mag wheels (there 5 spoke marchesini) is there any makings that would tell me what they are?

Any help would be very kindly appreciated.

Tom

2. a lot of the cpu's from that era say 996R…………its whats on it electricery that matters...

54mm exhaust is an aftermarket system as std they were 50mm...

Does it have a deep sump engine? you may have a poor earth lead connection making it slow start rather than a hi comp engine..

3. You can tell a mag rear wheel as they have more than four locating holes in the hub whereas all the alloy Marchesinis have only four. You will have to remove the rear wheel to check this ( by which time the weight difference may well be noticeable anyway).

It's said that the spokes on the mag rear wheels have lattice stiffeners inside the spokes but i have heard that the race mag wheels do not have these.

4. Thanks gents.

I know the motors been tuned...hence the high compression, just don't know what. Is there a visible difference between to sumps on a deep sum s motor and a standard 998? Is there anyway to tell from engine numbers?

I brought of a bloke who had gone to prisons wife so have been unable to ask any questions I may have wanted to about the machine.

Another thing to, it has a black frame (very light bit of metallic in it) has all the vin stickers and seems to be a perfect finish...did they make a black famed 998 in 2003 when it was registered?

This is what the EPROM looks like...

Tom

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. He'll be happy when he gets out.

6. post a picture of the bottom of the engine……say the exhaust side from the front cylinder…if you know the engine hs been tuned who said and who did the work...

7. You'll recognise a deep sump if you see one. They look obvious.

8. Deep

[​IMG]

Not deep
    [​IMG]

9. The the 998 wasn't deep sump, but the S and R was.

Alloy wheels have a rib running top to bottom down the spoke on the outside edge(s) mag Marchesinis don't if that makes sense.

54mm system were aftermarket seemed to be the size of choice also.

10. He won't be out for the feasible future!

The woman I brought it from assured me he had spent a lot on the engine...things like the vented casing, full floating disks, ohlins everything,ms production carbon and every dp accessory possible etc would lead me to think it probably has.

Let's just say, she didn't have a clue what she was selling...hence the "buy it quick before she realises" thing, the more questions I asked, the more the price pond would gage gone up!!

I'll get some pics tomorrow when I'm next out in the garage.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

11. Cheers, that's what I've been searching the net for all evening.

12. This what confusing me...I can't figure out if it's got an s/r engine in or the standard 998

13. Doh…...

14. I have a 998s Final Edition in my collection and that has the deep sump engine.

15. Pm me the vin and engine and I'll check it on ducati system if you like. Not aware of a black frame being produced. Probably a repaint?
    I see you're in derby? I'm just across the border near mansfield if you need any info

#15 nelly, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  16. The later 998's had the flat spoke wheels (rear) same as those fitted to the Multi of the era.
    The ally fronts had the rib or relief on them.

17. The 996R ECU was also sold with 45mm slip on Termignoni's as well so it is a very common "catch all" type of ECU. It runs richer than a stock 998 as they pop and bang all over the place due to the stock ECU producing a really lean mixture. It's what map it has that is most important. It may even have a power commander hidden away somewhere.

No frames were produced in black so it must have been stripped and painted or powdercoated. Is it Red? as a few dealers like Ducati London South produced their own limited edition bikes which were just stock bikes repainted, as an example they produced a metallic black 998 when the 998 Matrix came out to try and cash in.

18. More orangey....:biggrin:

19. It's yellow, however originally red. Frame has this sticker with the vin number etc so presumed it maybe factory black?

image.jpg

20. Thanks Nelly. I've been thinking I may take a trip over to you actually (when the weathers better)...it May need the belts doing, I believe you have a dyno too?...if so it's probably needing a go on that too! I'll PM you the details sometime today. Tom

Do Not Sell My Personal Information