1200 Advice Sought On Exhaust Before Parting With My Hard Earned!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Philnanks, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hi all..... I know this has been discussed and I've looked through previous posts but would like to seek the advice from those in the know....

I've got a 2013 multi and would like to replace the stock exhaust to get a better sound & look but don't want to make it ridiculously loud or waste my money!

I've spoken with Chris at CJS last week & his recommendation is to keep the stock exhaust & put the LV decat pipes on plus custom remap....costs £315 pipe plus £425 remap plus costs in getting bike to Chris from Cornwall (would want pipes fitted there rather than fit them and ride up due to risks in running it lean?) so nigh on a grand I guess?

For those that have done this have you found the exhaust too noisy (I know that's a personal point of view) & have you any experience of the additional LV baffle you can get for the silencer? Costs about £60? Is it worth getting?

I've seen the videos on YouTube on the multi with the decat pipe & it sounds great but it's difficult to tell from a video!

The alternative for me is to simply get a stubby Termi silencer which I prefer the look of....is there any difference in noise and is it worth still remapping or even necessary? Would be a lot cheaper!

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. I have an LV decat and LV slip on. The bike is loud, I dare to think what it'd be like without baffles! By all accounts the £60 baffle makes no difference. Its unfortunate but you need a silenced slip on to pair with a decat

3. And mapping isn't a must have. I haven't had mine mapped and it runs perfectly, no complaints at all. That said the engines all seem to be quite different so you may or may not get away with it. Slip on only makes no difference to sound

4. Phil,
    I've taken the same route myself with my 2012 S Touring.
    I fitted a full Leo Vince decat and carbon can myself and ran the bike before taking it down to CJS for the remap. It ran a lot better as soon as the decat was fitted and better still after the remap. I wouldn't worry too much about running it without the remap as I understand that the ECU does a certain amount of compensating.
    Fitting the decat is quite easy and the kit even came with a cam to be fitted to the exhaust valve motor. This stops the EXVL error appearing. However if it doesn't or you can't be bothered fitting it I wouldn't worry as Chris will sort that error out when he does the remap.
    The LV decat does incorporate an inline baffle which reduces the exhaust note and the LV carbon can does have a baffle (removable) so the overall sound is very pleasant without being offensively loud.
    Running with the standard can or the Termi stubby can is likely to be louder as neither include any baffling. I don't think you can get the LV end cans now but you may find one pops up for sale on the forum or Fleabay. If you get another make of end can you may need an adapter.
    Not sure about the additional LV baffle but I get the impression that they don't do the fuelling much good.
    Despite the cost and other obstacles it is without doubt the best upgrade you can buy for the Mutley. It transforms the bike.

5. Phil,
    I've taken the same route myself with my 2012 S Touring.
    I fitted a full Leo Vince decat and carbon can myself and ran the bike before taking it down to CJS for the remap. It ran a lot better as soon as the decat was fitted and better still after the remap. I wouldn't worry too much about running it without the remap as I understand that the ECU does a certain amount of compensating.
    Fitting the decat is quite easy and the kit even came with a cam to be fitted to the exhaust valve motor. This stops the EXVL error appearing. However if it doesn't or you can't be bothered fitting it I wouldn't worry as Chris will sort that error out when he does the remap.
    The LV decat does incorporate an inline baffle which reduces the exhaust note and the LV carbon can does have a baffle (removable) so the overall sound is very pleasant without being offensively loud.
    Running with the standard can or the Termi stubby can is likely to be louder as neither include any baffling. I don't think you can get the LV end cans now but you may find one pops up for sale on the forum or Fleabay. If you get another make of end can you may need an adapter.
    Not sure about the additional LV baffle but I get the impression that they don't do the fuelling much good.
    Despite the cost and other obstacles it is without doubt the best upgrade you can buy for the Mutley. It transforms the bike.

6. Thanks guys for advice, majvs I think you're right about the LV slip on but to keep costs down would have to stick with the stock exhaust anyway. Do you reckon I'd be ok to fit exhausts then ride up to Chris?

7. Reckon so. That's what I did from Manchester.

8. I have Arrows slip ons on Street fighter no remap or chip upgrade ran for 2n half years so far and no problems.
    There is a site called BR special Tuning they do some nice slip on cans for the Multi, and very reasonable prices too a lot are currently discounted. I actually phoned the bloke before buying and found him very helpful. Has a wide choice of slip on cans for your bike and systems. I pointed some one else on here with a Multi to the same site I think pipe and cans came to just over £600 so much cheaper than Termi's and I have seen a few with the MIVV cans on nice deep sound and not to loud either, Moto Rapido do bespoke tuning of chips too they are in Winchester. Prices range from £200 and upwards depending on what you need or want and they are helpful too.
    Store - Search Options | Motorcycle Exhausts | Performance Parts

9. Good Morning Phil,
    Loads of good advice above.
    Note the twin spark engine has different issues to the earlier single spark.
    My experience comes from a full decat (LV) and matching carbon end can on a single spark 2010 MTS2012 that was then cjs tuned and then latterly a 2013 PP with a full termis decat.
    Send me your mobile to discuss off line.

2013 bikes run lean, very lean as standard and do not need a cam to fool the ecu (it only detects and reports a forced shut valve).
    As others have said a stock end can or the mini termis will be illegally / Harley loud with a LV decat.
    I loved the sound of my 2010 set up with or without the baffle and Chris transformed that machine.
    That said my PP with the termis has a more refined and grown up sound.I've never run that with the baffle as it sounds perfect as is. Note the termis is supplied with an upmap to the ECU, so no immediate need to see Chris.
    My stock 130 something was transformed to 151+bhp @ the rear wheel on the 2010 bike.
    The 2013 is definitely less powerful and Chris says that he's not getting as much power from the twin spark engines.

10. Thanks again guys all great advice and really helpful! :upyeah:

11. Termi stubby with decat will be way to loud as already been suggested

Ive got the QD's twin silencers with baffles in, decat and a CJS remap 159 bhp at that back wheel, bike sounds like a Ducati should, goes like stink and looks the nuts IMHO

IMG_0878.JPG

#11 Boomer, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Well - I run a full Termi, with baffle - as without it is anti-social and I couldn't ride around in summer for fear of upsetting horse riders.
    So if ACT runs without a baffle in his Termi, but thinks that the LV option is loud, you should listen!

13. I run a full Termi, initially with the baffle in but everyone told me that it sounded strangled and I had to agree. I now run without but take care not to open the throttle too hard around town. It has a hell of a bark if you crack the throttle open. :Smuggrin:

14. I'm getting the impression that the LV decat plus standard or Termi silencer is gonna be too loud for me?! Pity cause this was my preferred route!
    CJS reckon the full Termi is even louder?
    Do like the QDs but not the price....don't think the present Mrs N would wear that...... If she ever found out of course;)
    Guess I'll be waiting for some of you guys to be offering up the goodies for sale when you part ex your multis in a couple months?:Happy:

15. Don't tell her! Or buy her a nice expensive handbag! U know what they say.....? Buy cheap... Buy twice...??

16. Boomer I'll be doin no such thing..... She's just forked out over 3k to get braces fitted! I can't see the point personally when in yr mid 40's.... Must be a woman thing? I'd have preferred she put it towards a new pair of tits!! Note I'm shielding the iPad so she doesn't see me write this!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Padded bra is damn sight cheaper and you could put the rest towards bike bits :)

18. Decat, std cam no baffles?! Ridiculously loud and was way to much for me

19. There will be a raft of bits coming up soon when I return mine to standard. Keep your powder dry for now!

20. Agreed... the tits are a much better upgrade than the braces...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information