Ali Tank Maker.

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by PHILLIPO, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Does anyone know if there’s a uk based company that could manufacture an aluminium tank for my 1098 streetfighter? There’s no way I’m going to sell the bike because of the swelling tank issue. So I’m on a mission to find a manufacturer in the uk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I can vouch for Manuel at [email protected]
    Did a fantastic job on my monster tank and I’m sure he’s got the tooling for many other Ducati’s.
    I spent a considerable amount of time contacting nearly all alloy tank manufacturers but none interested. Too much time to make the tooling. Tanks with the fuel pump inside presents a real problem.

3. I was also looking for a bespoke ali tank and many of them said no due to the complexity. Below is what they said to me.
    Etto pointed me at a Chris Ambler Racing (found on facebook) and he seemed prepared to give it a go but he was very busy last time I tried to contact him.

There was also a guy on facebook who made carbon fibre stuff, he suggested a bespoke carbon tank was in the 6k region due to tooling.

These guys make carbon fibre Ducati tanks: https://www.fullsixcarbon.com/en/page/models

4. Oh I spoke with this guy too, he had a 8 month waiting list back in February but did seem more willing to consider the work.

5. Thanks for your time and info guys. I have contacted a few on your lists with no luck. But I’ll try the other suggestions and let you know how I get on. I hadn’t thought of carbon fibre to be honest. Will carbon fibre swell like the original?

6. Tecknorace is based in Italy. Time wise
    it took Manuel 4/5 weeks to manufacture the tank and 6 weeks for the Italian postal system to deliver. Was stuck in Milan.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Carbon fibre shouldn't swell, but can develop leaks in other ways. fullsix claim a unique all in one construction which should reduce or remove that risk as my understanding was the join between halves was the weak link.

8. I’ve heard a few horror stories about tecknorace. I can’t find their website which is a bit strange.

9. From my own personal experience of tecknorace I can’t fault the tank or the person. Answered all my questions and even sent me pics during the fabrication. There isn’t a website as far as I know but just contact Manuel of tecknorace. He’s a contract worker for Ferrari and was contracted to make the tanks for the 1198 etc. I have one on my 1098s tricolore . I did my research on tecknorace and did come across some scathing feedback but on the whole it was very positive. Some of the scathing feedback was from guys that never ordered a tank but decided to kick the boot in. Here’s a couple of his work. In addition, he’s removed the middle men he was dealing with like Moto wheels and an Italian company.

2DB60D2E-87BA-4510-80AF-BF82E9569958.jpeg

9E588640-A817-4138-8145-0DF5FA6713CC.jpeg

#13 Geoffduk, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mind me asking. How much 3as the monster tank? My s4rs has expanded and thinking long term, what I do about it

11. Here’s an extract from a Conversation I had with tecknorace on what other tanks he can fabricate. The tank cost me £1400 but considering a new plastic one from Ducati costs £1600 it’s a no brainier.

“From 2013 to 2018 I made the tanks for the Ducati Moto GP, and also I made the production of the aluminum tank for the Ducati 1098.
    In general I can say that I am able to reproduce any type of tank.”
    For some models such as Ducati sport1000, Ducati Gt 1000, Ducati Paul Smart, Ducati Streetfighter And Ducati Monster I have the molds to be able to beat the sheet metal, but I am able to produce any tank even without having the molds.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Well that’s four emails sent this week to tecknorace, and no reply. Back to the drawing board I think.

13. If you are looking in Europe, I'll dig out the guy I know...

14. You could try Cedric Trenquir at
    Cévennes Retro Motors, near Ales south France.

He doesn't have a website, but you can make contact via his Facebook page: "Cedric Cevennes Retromotors"
    :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. I emailed TECKNORACE and just received a reply. Still in business but snowed under with current work with building prototypes. If you’re not in a hurry please contact him in a couple of months. So basically he can make you a tank in aluminum.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information