Alternative 530 pitch rear sprockets for the MTS1200?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndyW, Mar 16, 2012.

1. EDIT: NB: The poll data got lost in the forum database crash! :-(

I know a lot of guys have changed the front sprocket to a 14T (OE is 15T) for quicker (even quicker!:) acceleration and/or for better 'rideability' at low speeds in town or in traffic (the higher gearing = slightly higher rpm's for any given speed so smother running at low speeds;-)
    Higher gearing appeals to me but I don't like the smaller primary sprocket option which puts additional stress on the chain due to the tighter radius and increases the rate of wear for both chain and sprocket. The alternative is to increase the size of the rear sprocket (as I've done on other bikes) but there are no 530 pitch alternative sprockets available for the Multistrada 1200 :-(
    As a result some owners have gone for a 525 or even 520 pitch conversion.....for a whole bunch of reasons that's not somthing I want to do either.

So....I've been talking to Renthal(made in GB;-) but they remain unconvinced that there's enough demand for them to produce a 530 (42 tooth would be my choice) rear sprocket for the MTS12 hence this thread:

Would you be interested in an alternative 530 pitch rear sprocket from Renthal e.g. 42 tooth either now or sometime in the future when it's time for a sprocket and chain change?

For info:
    15...........40............ 2.667 (stock gearing)
    14...........40............ 2.857 +7% change

15...........42............ 2.800 +5% change
    15...........43............ 2.867 +7% change

The 42 tooth option is ideal imho.......standard length 108 link chain should be ok and erring on the side of the bike not becoming too prone to wheelies! lol

Changing the gearing on the Mutley has no effect on speedo/odo accuracy as the rear wheel ABS sensor acts as the speedo sensor;-)

#1 AndyW, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. I'm too early in ownership as yet and still amazed at the power difference between Mutley and my ST4S to give a definitive answer, however I would be interested in a 42 toothier later on just to try out.

The only downside I could see would be a 5% increase in fuel consumption :eek:

3. Yeah with the price of fuel ever on the increase that's something to consider although maybe fuel consumption in urban environments may improve a little with the better 'rideability'?..................and any additional cost would be offset by more grins per mile :D

4. If I did more of my riding on short trips I'd go for a set and as someone who HAS paid out for Ducati price replacements I'd really like to have a quality alternative available. However, right now I think I use the relaxed high-speed cruise of the standard gearing too much to give it up.

5. I don't see why you need to get a batch done. Most sprocket makers sell blanks. All that is required is someone with a lathe to turn out the centre hole and drill for the mounting bolts. A simple task - I used to do it all the time when I was racing but I don't have a lathe any more. Try asking at a few engineering machine shops for a price. There is the small matter of what will be the setting for the chain tension when the chain is further away from the swinging arm but that's not that much of a problem. Is the available adjustment sufficient to use the original chain. If not it will be an expensive exercise that will make the alternative USA sourced smaller gearbox sprocket look cheap. I am sure the lower gearing will work well and it would definitely be better for track days but - all in all - I can't be bothered to do all the work for the minor benefits. Since I fitted the "fat-ducs", I can live with the existing gearing cos I can use lower revs if I need to.

6. Some really good points there....thanks.

Getting a sprocket blank cut - I'd have to find someone reliable to do the work, not much choice round these parts and I imagine that the cost of the blank plus the one off machining job would cost more than an off the shelf offering from a decent manufacturer like Renthal.

Chain tension...... :doh!: .........hadn't even occurred to me. I know of a few guys in the states that have a 15/42 525 setup, I'll ask about that.
    Likely bugger all difference, as I was typing the above I wondered how much bigger a 42T sprocket would be over the OE 40T. So, couple of quick measurements on the bike and some schoolboy math....

40T diameter 190mm so circumference 597mm
    Measured width of two teeth, 30mm so new circumference 627mm......new diameter works out at 199.5mm
    9.5mm extra on the diameter so 4.75mm on the radius.......drawing a straight line between the bottom of both sprockets, by the time you're looking at the point for checking chain tension, around half way along the lower chain section that difference would be somewhat less.
    Hang on.......refers to manual:
    [​IMG]

Chain length.........guys using the 15/42 520 setup are still using a 108 link chain.

7. Take a look at the rear sprocket and you will see it is not a simple disc form that can be machned from a blank, this is made by machining from a steel forging. The complex form at mid-diameter forms half of the cush drive mechanism. To use a disc blank sprocket, a seperate cush drive sprocket carrier would have to be produced to make a two piece assembly.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Robin....now I understand the after market sprocket carriers for Ducatis I have seen. That's an OE MTS12 sprocket?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yup, that's the new one I bought but haven't fitted yet. It is a beautifully made thing but it's priced that way too. I have tried four times to get the image to show on the post. I just gave up!

10. In your photo gallery there should be details of the image url to add the pic to posts (you're adding the url for the actual gallery page rather than the image;-)....

[​IMG]

11. There must be a lot more than 16 mts1200 owners here now......please vote;-)

12. Intending to chase up Renthal soon...........more votes in the Poll please!

13. I went down to a 14t on my m1100 after my first service. Wish I'd had it done from day 1. Makes city riding better, smoothes everything out and makes it a touch more spritely. Great cheap mod.

So, I'm in on the 42t if you can get Renthal to step up. Otherwise, love to know where else I can get one for the MTS (42t 530 that is...)

14. Sorry for not having updated...........Renthal just aren't interested! But, Supersprox should have an offering soon and there's another source in the pipeline as well. I will update as soon as I know more.

15. Thanks Andy......this project had kinda slipped to the back burner!

....that would be great for standard/conventional pattern sprockets but without converting to an after market sprocket carrier as well no good for the Mutley. I would also prefer a straight forward Ducati pattern sprocket rather than going for an after market sprocket carrier as well.
    Standard sprocket:

[​IMG]

Supersprox advise me that they will have their range on the shelves this Autumn - I beleive their range will include a 42 tooth rear sprocket which is what I'll be after.

For info - from the same discussion on another forum

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the price of a replacement sprocket from Ducati?

#16 AndyW, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry for not having posted any updates on progress.....current situation....

Supersprox are pushing the factory to make the new range of rear sprockets for the MTS1200 ASAP. the design is completed. There have been long delays as they were moving their factory in August and September and the new facility took longer than expected to be up and running.
    Launch of the new range of sprockets should be soon......I'll post an update as soon as I hear more.

17. I have changed sprockets on other bikes but usually for higher gearing to give more relaxed cruising and better economy at motorway speeds. This is not required on the MTS as 6th is a bit of an overdrive already. But changes either way make very little difference at low speeds. At 30mph a 5% change is only one and a half mph - not enough to notice in smoothness or anything else but you have lost economy and relaxed cruising at higher speeds. No point IMHO. If you want more response just select a lower gear, thats why there are 6 of them. Ducati got it about right and I will leave the gearing as it is.

18. Interesting point of view/opinions Den..........however a lot of owners have found lower gearing beneficial (todate either by changing the front sprocket down to a 14T [which I personally am not a fan of for reasons already mentioned] or changing to a 520 pitch setup [which again I'm not attracted to]). I've also changed sprockets on previous bikes, in particular with my SV1000 (another v-twin;-) I found a slightly larger rear sprocket beneficial....being able to run each gear at slightly lower RPMs can definitely help towards a smoother ride, especially for 1st gear traffic crawling etc where selecting a lower gear isn't an option. Yes there's potential for fuel economy to drop fractionally overall but it's a kind of swings and round-a-bouts situation, under certain riding conditions fuel economy will improve.

19. Thanks Andy but I still wonder if the benefits are imagined (after all of the effort and expense) rather than real? Trickling through traffic at 2000rpm will now be at 2100 rpm for the same speed - I doubt if the difference in smoothness is detectable.

It is in 6th gear and high rpm where any significant rpm versus road speed takes effect and if that is the aim then fine but you only have to do the math to see that the low rpm/speed/smoothness argument is a bit of a red herring. Each to his own but I am only trying to make the counter argument for those that may be rather disappointed after spending quite a wad.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information