Nightshift Am I Being Ripped Off For A Desmo Service?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by ST4VROS, Feb 22, 2023.

1. I’ve just had the invoice come through for my 2021 Nightshift 7500 mile desmo service, and they’re charging me £1080.

When I called into the garage to get a quote then said it’d be between £650 and £950 depending on the level of work that’s is required, and it’s come out way over.

They’ve replaced 5 shims in total along with all 8 valve collets to correct the clearances.

Am I being ripped off? It’s a franchised garage by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. How many hours did they charge you for ? Andy

3. 9.5

4. It's nigh £100 per hour at OYB now, I think its on the money with consumables. My enduros at 58k has had three £1k+ bills for these desmo-services. It's why many owners sell before the reach certain milage limits. But I presonnally prefer high mileage as I know its heritage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That’s about right for the job, especially as both heads needed shims. Had that been a main dealer, you’d have been looking at £200, maybe £300 more. If the job is done properly, using Ducati parts, all you save is the difference in the labour cost per hour. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seem to recall @El Toro saying his was around the £650 mark on his 1100, don’t know what was required though?

Seems quite high though considering the lack of stuff that needs removing to access the heads?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Why are you having a Desmo service at 7.5k miles, when it should be carried out at 15k miles?

8. IIRC I paid around £860 at my local indi last year for my 1260 Multistrada. No shims needed changing. Though that did include quite a bit of extra work such as belts, oil, filters etc.

9. Scrambler gets a desmo service every 7500 miles. Andy

10. Ducati have issued a set of standard times for the various services for dealers to work to and charge out at. 7500 service on the Scrambler is 3.2 hours and the 15k service is 4.9 hours. They're tight, as all standard times are, but a good indicator.
    9.5 hours is, IMO, way over the top. That's more than is quoted for a Panigale or Multistrada.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes - 5 of them

12. Thanks for the input all.

I emailed back yesterday afternoon and questioned why it was £1080 when I was quoted £650 to £950, and when I picked her up from the garage this morning, the price had dropped to £940, without any other word about it.

Not a great experience all in all, but I’m taking it as a little win.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hella expensive. :(

14. My 2020 Full Throttle was due its 7K desmo service and it was done 10 days ago by a franchised dealer, whom I bought it from. It was with them for 3 and half days. I was told that there was a lot of corrosion, that the valves had needed attention, that my ABS light was up and it needed 'tweaking' - I don't recall the light being up. They said delay was due to the need for replacement nuts fixing the studs holding the exhaust to the head which had corroded and difficult to remove so had to be replaced. The nuts weren't held in their stock! I was initially quoted around £400/£500 for around 3/4 hours work. When I collected it they re-iterated the issue about corrosion. I don't use it in anything but dry weather, I had the Classic before this and learnt the hard way about corrosion (with the spokes et al) and use AC50 with household brush on fixings etc. They said tech spent around 9 hours but 'because of the delay' I would be charged £580. Final point, if Ducati see themselves as the Ferraris of the bike world, then they need to up their game on corrosion. Honda are known for their quality in this regard but are not shouting about it.

15. I’d want photos of every issue they found and all the old parts put in front of me on collection to prove a) it needed the work and b) it had been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'd also expect them to call me to get my ok before replacing parts that they're going to charge for!

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information