V4 Any Known Engine Issues ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by John W, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Hi all.
    Reading a post on a FB group this morning I saw mention of a recent ecu update 'related to preventing engine failures - breaking valve springs'. I think the update is to do with the quick shifter.
    This is the first I had heard of it.
    I've not been following all the V4 posts over the last few years, so might have missed any issues.

So as per the threat title, are there CURRENTLY any known V4 engine issues, in general or Multistrada specific...

Also, if anyone knows about these valve spring failures, is there any more info like how many have failed and under what conditions (over revving, missing a gear, whatever).

This is the only thing I could find about it (read the comments, 1st to 2nd change then jumps out of gear):

Cheers,
    John.

2. ..not sure on "current" status, but water pumps failing at relatively low mileage has popped up a few times over the years. Hopefully the problem has been designed out by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The most recent software update (for the UK) involving the V4 Grandtourismo engine, was specific to a chassis number range and reduced the quick shifter cut time, to prevent unspent fuel igniting in the exhaust. This is the reason a few people have complained that their full system bikes no longer pop and bang on the over run. Back pressure would, in the longer term, affect the exhaust valves and is probably what the linked vlog was on about. Apart from the very early recall involving a small number of bikes that had a bad batch of valve springs fitted, I know of no widespread or common reliability issues. Early engine corrosion behind a plastic engine cover, yes but reliability, no. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2021 V4S 22k Miles - no engine issues at all and it doesn't use any oil at all :)
    The only problem I have had was with the rear wheel bearings that corroded and become stiff and noisy, the OEM parts were Chinese bearings and were replaced under warranty with NRG bearings. Hopefully on any new bike that problem will have been dealt with.

5. thanks guys, i had heard of water pump leaks, oil leaks and the wheel bearings, all put down to early teething problems now supposedly/hopefully resolved.

Having dug a bit more it seems from another u-t clip the broken valve spring thing is as a consequence of using the quick-shifter at high revs. Not specifically to do with fuel cut but to do with not going into gear properly and maybe over revving.

I see the lack of posts about any issues as a positive, but thought i best ask so i know what i am about to buy into :)

6. There’s never been an effective cure for ham fistedness :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I wonder if someone could design valve gear that wouldn't have a problem if the engine was over revved :thinkingface::thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. You mean the RS multi? lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Well 4 people got the tongue in cheek comment .....;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information