1200 DVT Anyone Had A Battery Leak?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Dale Taylor, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Just wondering if anyone else has had a battery leak?
    Cleaning my bike at the weekend and noticed something blue had run and dripped onto the hugger and the swinging arm, didn't think a right lot about it until I tried to clean it off and noticed it had stained, about 1cm wide and 5cm long, running down towards the front of the swinging arm, tried alsorts to get it off and then I thought right I'm going to contact my Ducati dealer. They said to take it in straight away so I did and once they have removed the seat and battery they noticed the battery had been leaking, they tried to clean it off the swinger arm but not a chance. So They fitted a new battery, clean it up best they could and have taken photos of it to send off to Ducati. Bike will now be going int for a new swinging arm once it has been authorised and ordered.
    Seems a bit odd to me, why a battery would leak but I suppose anything is possible, anything can be faulty.
    Anyway, Ducati Leeds have been great about it, whatever it takes, they will sort it out. I have seen other posts on here re customers being unhappy with their dealers but at the moment I am impressed with Ducati Leeds! :upyeah:

2. it is on an angle is it not? not that should be a reason, but if a problem with the seal it is more likely to leak being on an angle

3. They are absorbed glass matt (AGM) batteries with no free acid and shouldn't leak even if they are upside down. There is either something wrong with the battery from new or it could be overcharging and has split the case. Good the Ducati Leeds are happy to sort it out for you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information