Beware of buying 'THC' split links for 520 'O' ring chains

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Chris, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Learnt the hard way by buying what appeared to be the correct split link for a chain (and it's even clearly stamped on the link plate!(520)). Only after getting the measuring stick out and talking to a real chain expert did I realise that I wasn't losing it this time.. The pins are around 2 mm too long so fitting with clip facing outwards was going to rip into the guard, the sprocket cover and truly bury itself in the check plate near the back wheel. Was the seller at all interested despite 3 E-mails patiently explaining the problem? 'sure you know the answer in this rapidly developing screwu society.. When you happen to latch onto a good person you need to tell 'em these days.

2. Only ever use the very same split link as the chain. the 520 designation is just a standard to go by. Different chains vary so much. A 520 Tsubaki Sigma is physically wider than a DID 525 due to the wall thickness of the links. Lesson learnt and a valuable one at that :upyeah:

3. Understood Neil but described as 'standard' - this was wrong by + 2mm so even trusting the '20' bit outer plates would have to be 3mm thick instead of 2! and I don't believe there is any 520 variation that this would have fitted (hence posting?). Re: 'lesson learned' (lol) I used to be 'morse' fluent around 20 years ago so obviously not, no this error due to part trust/part laziness by me.

EDIT Andy 'The chain man' went straight to the correct standard link - I had to insist he measured the length of the pin as he was happy to post it without even measuring (and he was correct) so standing right behind original post Neil! :upyeah:

#3 Chris, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. By clip you don't mean this type of split link do you?

clip.jpg

clip.jpg

5. If its like above I wouldn't use that imho I'd only used the peened over link.

6. What bike? If over 80hp as PJ above I wouldnt use it anyway, just a press link. Tbh any roadbike over a 600 monster I wouldnt use one, use on race bike because can us MX chain and its cheaper but replace each year so use is hard but short. Amd watch the links too

7. I aways use a split link but i also use lockwire too... Saw this on many senior race bikes over at the TT.
    Must be ok ? I guess it's so they can change a chain quickly at a pit stop.
    I have personally seen some shite soft link fitments (bodged) on road bikes where the owners cant afford a link tool and use a hammer and punch!

8. +1

There is no "standard" nowadays, one size nine shoe is a size 10 in another... The Chinese in particular pee on "standards" & "copyrights" :eek:

Fooked if I would be using split links either??

[​IMG]

Massive Collateral Potential. :wink:

9. your missing the point 470.. checked with seller beforehand - everything bar measurements, and did you miss the bit where I said old school chain supplier was confident which one I needed - and didn't feel the need to measure? (chof) the link was 530 stamped as a 520. Jumping the gun on the split link too - it wasn't even for a Ducati (33 brake and belt and braces tbh.)(chofa)

10. ?? This post being in "Ducati general discussion" led me to believe that yes - it was actually being fitted to a Ducati!

My bad. :)

Try buying a decent named chain instead of some Chinese Xmas cracker rubbish and then you can expect some sort of quality control maybe?

I thought THC was the active ingrediant in cannabis? Explains a few things, lol :-D

11. Fill me in i'm lost here!
    So chris buys a split link!
    Nelly (Neil) fits split links to chains (I guess Ducati's as he owns Corner speed)
    They use split links on race bikes !
    I use them and never had a problem and i know many others who do.
    Not many even fit chains to Ducati's so dealers fit them (soft link)
    And only split link chains explode and smash crankcases
    Weird that i don't agree! i expect 80% of snapped chains on ducati's are softlink and i will stick money on it :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just to add
    Most if not all QUALITY chains come with soft link and or split link! i just don't understand why chain makers do such a thing!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. any way, it's a hot day and maybe it just got under my collar a bit - hope you all got out and enjoyed it. :cool:

14. each to their own I spose, I have no wish to use split link because I dont trust em ,even if data would say otherwise.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information