Buying a s2r 800

Discussion in 'Monster' started by salbalboa, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

This is my first post and i am about to buy a s2r 800 2006 monster and i am just looking for a little advice on what i need to look out for.
    Does this model have the problematic plastic tank? And if it does will it be a problem in the uk since we dont get much sunshine and our fuel doesnt have as much ethanol in it as the u.s fuel ?
    Will ducati replace the tank without warranty or is it going to be costly ?
    Is the first major service around 6k ? For the belts and valves?

I just dont want to be blinded by the beauty of the machine to find out its a expensive potato later on.

Thanks in advance

2. I have an 06. This is just before the 'longer service' intervals were introduced, so, I think it is 6k. However, there are 1000km service checks in the book, but no one does all of these??
    Rule of thumb....For belts; 4k or 2 years...(not exact science)...2 valve engine belts will last longer than 4 valve?...Every year; oil etc....
    I have not heard of any particular horror stories on this model..Some people have had trouble with the slipper clutch; but I wonder if they are people that whack it in to 2nd or first at high speeds??
    I have not heard of any problems with the tank either.

3. I've got a 2005 model and as Jimbo says the 2006 has the same service schedule. It changed in 2007.

It's a minor service (really just an oil change) at 6k or 1 year whichever comes soonest, then full service at 12k or 2 years whichever comes soonest.

Mines has only done 8k miles so has had it's belts changed every couple of years and an oil change annually. I still haven't had the valves checked.

This model, and all Ducatis with plastic tanks do have the supposedly problematic tank. There have been a couple of reports in the UK of people with the problem, but nowhere near the numbers being reported abroad. Apparently we don't yet have the fuel with enough ethanol in it to cause problems, but apparently it is coming at some point. Ducati deny that there is a problem.

There has been a problem with a small number of owners with the clutch. It appears to be a dodgy batch as there is no pattern to it. Mine went and Rich at Louigi Moto has dealt with 3 or 4 including mine. It was about a £400 fix. I do tend to make deliberate active use of the slipper but other owners have been rather gentle on theirs and still had the problem. I wouldn't let this put you off though as mainteneance is real cheap.

I reckon the S2R with the 800 engine is the best Monster that Ducai have built to date. Cracking bike with a great engine. Front brakes are a bit stodgy but can be fixed for around £400, but many owners just live with them as they are.

4. Hi salbalboa! I had a 2006 s2r 800 for 3 years! Lovely bike to ride, handled well, looked the piece and the slipper clutch was awesome. I had mine serviced every year and the belts done every other year. Never had any major issues with it. All in all a very good bike - 10/10! Hope you enjoy it!!

James

5. nice bike, 2006 model with the black wheels looks better than the 2005 model with white wheels

750/800 motors reputed to be one of ducatis finest

6. 06 models also had white wheels as standard... I think black wheels came in late in 06...

7. Thanks for the replys i havent been on in a while due to work.
    I bought the s2r and it seems to be spotless. only thing ive notticed is the back break seems a bit spongy and also the lever is hard to get at with my foot as it seems to be behind the engine casing this is by design and nothing is missing haha.
    so has any one fit a extended lever to overcome this or is it something u get used to? and is the spongy feeling in the break lever normal?

also been looking at the termi shorty exhaust too to open up the back wheel but seems they only make them for s4 and they are hard to come by and probably not legal in the uk too.
    looks like the start of a money pit with all the extras to buy.:smile:

8. Most people say the back break seems weak and spongy. I thought that on previous Duc's, but my S2R is pretty good. The break lever takes some getting used, but you will. If you fit a termi...you won't get a decent noise unless you de-cat it. It made a huge difference on mine. I have the carbon Termis, stamped not for road use!! :)

9. When I had my s2r my bake break did feel quite spongy but that is compared to my 848. As regards the exhausts, I de-cated mine, put a link pipe on it and left the exhausts standard. I then put a pipercross air filter in it and drilled the air box with lots of holes and in my opinion it sounded incredible! It may not have sounded like a termi at tick over but as soon as I got it to 3500rpm+ it sounded awesome! I would look into Zard's for the s2r if you fancied changing the exhausts, they are very nice!

10. It is a fking problem cos my beautifully repainted tank has expanded to the point where I can't get it closed. That said, I'm getting a better range, so I'm not convinced it's a bad thing.

Ducati UK, if you're reading this, you had better practice your best smile and get a stock of new tanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information