Buying New Tyres On Tour

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by **Topher**, May 7, 2014.

1. I keep changing tyres before going on tour but when only half worn.
    I'm heading off on a random tour through Germany Czech Republic and possibly down as far as Croatia then across to Italy.
    Has any body had experience of tyre changes on tour?
    The question is how difficult is it to pick up rear tyres on route and are prices dearer in Europe?

2. My guess is that it's not difficult given that most towns and cities have at least one bike dealer/shop. And can it be any more expensive than you changing them before you go on tour when they are only part worn? ;)

3. Not complicated generally. I was in Germany when I was stopped by the law for overtaking a line of traffic when there was a sign saying I shouldn't. I weaselled out of that one. Then it was pointed out that my front tyre was on the edge of legality and would have gone over that edge by the time I got home. Ah yes, so it is - had forgotten about that. Whatever.

Anyway, passed a big tyre place fortuitously a few miles down the road, popped in and had it changed. I remembered from a French mate that prices for things like tyres are pretty keen in Germany. Result.

On the other hand, I got a flat in the middle of nowhere in France once and ended up having to wait 2 days for the local shop to get the right tyre. In the end I had to do a 100 mile round trip in a taxi to pick it up in Troyes. France is a big place with lots of empty space.

But assuming you're mobile and can choose when and where to buy new tyres it shouldn't be a problem. I've had to change them in the UK before now - that's on tour for me. A local bike magazine is often handy for addresses of the bigger chains.

4. Ive used Bridgetsone T30's im Cartagena this year, some weekend ride outs, then another 3 track days since, including one on SUnday just gone. These are an unbeatable all round tyre. I'd be pushin on in novice and they have never budged. This tyre would off best all round performance and longevity that you seek imo. No brainer.

Just becuase they are a "sports tourer" tyre dont mean they aint sticky....they get ver hot withn two laps. Granted the profile for turning isnt hugely quick, but they will suffice the average rider, no question.

Here's the tyre from Sunday, i took this pic yesterday. Wearing great and evenly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Road: 34 front / 32 rear - Track: 29 front / 29 rear ( 848 ).

( The haslam's usethem on their track bikes i believe )

Do Not Sell My Personal Information