Featured Cagiva V-raptor Refresh....

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Andy Bee, Sep 15, 2024.

1. So as threatened, I thought I'd start a restoration thread of my V-Raptor and I have to admit I'm gonna be as interested as anyone else to see how it progresses :grinning:

60k all weather commuting miles take a lot out of a motorcycle....
    front.jpg

frontBrake.jpg

oilCooler.jpg
    tank.jpg

waterPump.jpg
    rusty1.jpg
    swingArm.jpg

swingArm2.jpg

rearBrake.jpg
    rusty3.jpg

rusty2.jpg

generator.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Good luck, looks like it’s been at the bottom of the sea for a while. I had one of these for a few years, loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drained the both the fuel and the coolant. It looks like the (plastic) tank has 'expanded' a little as the front bolt holes don't line up. It's a common issue but I reckon not too difficult to resolve. I'll buy a couple of mill off the seat base to allow the tanks mounting cradle to be pushed back a couple of mill.

Oh and would you believe it more rust.... all of which I have now covered in ACF50 to hopefully stop it getting worse.

tankFront.jpg

tankBack.jpg
    rusty5.jpg
    rusty6.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. I nearly bought a Raptor Xtra last year cheap but while I was busy asking questions it got snapped up! Gotta love that motor tho!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ooo... I've reached the heady heights of a featured thread :D

I'm not looking to completely strip him down just yet because a possible house move may be in the offing next year so would like to leave at least a rolling chassis.

So thinking aloud what to remove next... carbs/FI, loom, brakes & bodywork. The latter of which could make for a nice winter job prepping for paint.

6. Removed the right hand side footrest hanger and attendant brake caliper & gubbins. And lo & behold more rust on the frame...

The rear brake was always a pain to bleed out and I've only just realised the two threaded holes in the caliper are the same size & pitch so I could have moved the supply to the lower port & the nipple to the upper.

Did feel a little smug mind, in thinking to nip off the caliper bolts holding the halves together before removing it from its mounting plate.

The last little low speed tumble (when I ran over a number plate in the road) had bent the brake pedal but I can now see it also bent it's pivot bolt.

rhsHangerFrame.jpg
    rhsHangerInside.jpg
    rhsHangerAbove.jpg
    bentBrakePedalPin.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. However I didn't feel the same level of smugness after realising getting the pistons out would be a pain without the proper tool or even if knowing whether they were seized or not... so I reassembled the brake circuit & pumped 'em out.

tempBleed.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. It's not a Sunday so how can it be bath time...

The after photo shows bits & bobs of corrosion on the calipers bodies but the internal faces & piston seal recesses are as clean as. I cleaned up the switch bolt manually with wet & dry and although it hasn't come up shiney shiney I'm still gonna keep & use it. Same with the other bolts as I'm loathed to just buy new stuff and bolt them on.... plus, and call me an old romantic, these guys have had a tough but reliable life so I think they deserve a spruce up and gentle retirement days in the sun.

bathTime.jpg
    clean.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. It's seems I've got a little carried away in my desire to retain/repair as many of the original parts as possible. Years back I'd cut away some styling fins on the left hand side panel to allow fitment of a different reg/rec and then did the same to the right side panel for matching purposes.

You can buy replacement carbon fibre panels for £200 but I find them a little too gauche or there are some second hand ones also at £100 each (plus postage from Italy or some such). So I had a go at repairing them - 'good from far & far from good' does spring to mind but I reckon they'll suit the time served weary but smart look I'm aiming for.

sidePanelBefore.jpg
    sidePanelAfter.jpg

rhsSidePanel.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information