Carb Balancing On The 900ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Hi All

I want to carry out this procedure on my Mikuni carbs, will this dual gauge kit be suitable?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125936426865

I also found this as a guide

Appreciate any comments on your experiences before I delve in!

2. I spent ages tuning the carbs on the Darmah using a similar set of dial gauges & quite frankly they were rubbish.

Yes, they were old, but the needles bounced around and swapping them over showed they gave different readings.

So bugger the expense & bought a £70 twin Morgan tune kit. Accurate, much easier to read, protective case & 5 mins later carbs done and engine running as smooth as.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352772421566

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ck_uk,
    I have the same twin gauge set. I tried to balance off the bike before installing using something of same thickness under butterfly. When I came to check with vacuum gauges they were pretty much spot on.
    There is a small restrictor screw to stop the gauges jumping around which worked OK. I did not swap gauges over though. I think one thing is not to bother about the numbers too much just that they are the same.
    I am glad I did not have to adjust because it looks a pig to get in with screwdriver.
    I generally buy the best I can afford, at the time did not have that much to chuck at gauges.

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. #4 oldtech, Sep 8, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I have a morgantune too. Highly recommend

6. I've had a Morgan carbtune with the metal rods for about 25years . Brilliant piece of kit, worth every penny.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have just used a set of those gauges to balance my Monster carbs, one thing to be wary of is their calibration to each other might be out. I tee'd mine together with a vacuum pump and found they weren't reading the same. There is a calibration screw on the dial so it can be corrected :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. old fashioned, outdated mercury carb stix here, work perfectly

valve6203.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. That's beautiful
    Must be a few years old?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information