Carbon Wheel Damage

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by J0n3s, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Bought a set of BST carbon wheels from a friend and stupidly didn't inspect them when I picked them up. They've sat in my van+garage for the past month since collecting, and inspecting last weekend, to my untrained eye the rim looks to have had a big impact causing cracking and severe damage.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course the convo didn't go well speaking to matey, who denied knowing anything :confused:

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Well, it's certainly fucked, and the trouble with CF is that a lot of the damage won't be visible. Refund time....

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I used to have friends like that too. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Yeah, seems I have now unfortunately. They pathetically are claiming the damage could have been done by me while in the van, which is only used for moving bikes and was empty.

To do that damage takes a lot of force, direct impact and kinetic energy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That’s shit mate. Could be genuine but refund sounds right

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. IMO the wheel has been down a pot hole and I have to say, the said “defence” is conclusive proof the damage was known about. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is why I got rid of all of my friends years ago.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Could be damage from a bad tyre change with levers but I’d get rid it’s not worth the risk.

edit: I’ve just zoomed in on the first picture, that wheels knackered

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I couldn't do that to a fellow biker that I didn't know, let alone a (now ex) friend. That's pretty low

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  10. When I had some BST's a well regarded tyre fitter wouldn't touch them, he'd had a similar experience with a BST wheel, ended up having to pay for a new wheel, apparently they are more prone to tyre lever damage than other brands, in his opinion.

The seller knew about it, how ever they were damaged

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Thanks for the feedback guys, totally appreciated. The seller has agreed to a refund (still denying knowing). They are on here, but I'm not going to name them - not interested in "Arry vs Fam" public spats.

On the first pic, the threads look cut which seems more like an impact rather than tyre lever, but I'm not expert by any means.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Bloody hell, you don’t need friends like that! I’m glad they’ve refunded you though.

13. I had a very similar experience with my carbon/Mag Dymag wheels. None of my trusted local indies would even risk to look at them when I needed to fit new tires. In the end it’s the official Ducati Dealer that did the job as with the new bikes, they are used to and fully equipped for changing tires on carbon rims. There are specific tools, apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I fell for the carbon bling a few years ago with wheels, fairings and tank. Then came the totally unnecessary high-side at Mugello on a storm affected slow-down lap.
    The damage was apocalyptic.
    The best use for carbon is heat protection, well away from any stress or impossible to repair damage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. If you’ve got the result you need sounds like that’s that. Although I hope I don’t buy something that is less obviously damaged or US from same user at some point…

• Like Like x 1
  16. I thought BST could repair damaged wheels?

17. Me personally wouldn't fit carbon wheels ever again. My mates wheels imploded brand new v4 brand new bst wheels.

IMG-20231109-WA0001.jpg IMG-20231109-WA0000.jpg

• WTF WTF x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bloody hell...what was the outcome of that?

19. Shades of Robert Dunlop at the TT

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. But to be fair, that was a SSSA Marvic mag alloy wheel failure, not carbon.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information